UND’S “Marcus is Walking”

Ava Stockstad

This past week at the University of North Dakota’s Burtness Theatre, Joan Ackermann’s 1997 play “Marcus is Walking” took the stage. A story that follows several plotlines to help reveal the value of togetherness, students here at UND showcased their exceptional acting skills with each night’s performance.   

According to the playbill that was handed out prior to the start of every show, “Marcus is Walking” is said to “examine the emotional landscape we roam as we travel in our cars. Control, navigation, love and escape are some of the themes explored.” The play started with a couple finding themselves lost on the way to a coworkers potluck. Later, we delved into a dance routine to Nat King Cole’s “L-O-V-E,” followed by several other brief but entertaining acts. Each act explored a valuable theme in some way even though the stories themselves were seemingly unrelated. The last act featured a father bringing his son Marcus trick-or-treating, which led to the father breaking out into a panic about Marcus’ safety. The last line of the show wrapped the production up with the quote, “next time, Marcus is walking.”   

This show was especially unique thanks to the unchanging set design. While several storylines were explored, the set stayed unmoved between acts. Up on stage was a red prop car with several travel-themed banners and signs illuminated under the stage-lights. Even without variation, the set was precise and picturesque with each act.  

Ackermann’s “Marcus is Walking” is well known for its underlying complexity. Every character within the production is rather ordinary whether it be a schoolgirl, an anxious woman afraid to drive without a shoulder lane or a father taking his son trick-or-treating. However, every character was left to grapple with some sort of common situation that reminded the audience of the natural human need for connection and a sense of belonging. While each act includes new characters and a new story, the prop car remained a stagnant reminder that we are all navigating the world in some way.   

The university students involved in the production of “Marcus is Walking” put on strikingly skilled performances especially considering many students were responsible for a handful of roles. Performers Rachel Steen, Isaac Anderson, Jace Toutenhoofd, Anissa Overson and Lexie Mull showcased their acting range by playing the part of at least three different characters within the show.   

UND Theatre Arts Teaching Assistant, Professor Chelsea Chimilar directed the production, working alongside a handful of other esteemed Theatre Arts faculty members to prepare the show. Production staff included faculty and students, working collaboratively to properly execute aspects like lighting, sound and props.   

“Marcus is Walking” was the last production of the 2023-2024 season. Looking back at the last two semesters, the Theatre Arts department has put on several well-received shows, including 1967 thriller “Wait Until Dark,” lighthearted rom com “First Date,” and David Ives’ “All in the Timing.” As the school year wraps up to a close, playgoers and musical lovers alike will be looking forward to what is to come this next fall.   

Ava Stockstad is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]