Delta Upsilon Commemorates Their New Chapter House

The University of North Dakota celebrated a significant milestone with the dedication of the new Delta Upsilon Chapter House. For alumni, students and the university community, the event stressed the fraternity’s longstanding values and vision for future growth. The ceremony attracted university officials, alumni and students, commemorating nearly two centuries of brotherhood, leadership and academic excellence.  

Alumni from various generations traveled across the country to witness the unveiling of the new chapter house, displaying their ongoing commitment and attachment to their fraternity experiences.  

The new house at 421 Princeton Street replacing the former chapter house, spans 17,600 square feet, which is about four times the area of a basketball court, and features a mix of sleeping quarters and study areas designed for individual and group work. A distinctive feature of the new chapter house is the “Cultural Commons,” a versatile space intended for small events such as recitals, lectures and movie nights, enhancing the cultural and communal life of the fraternity.  

Opening the ceremony, Jeff Christenson invited the audience to actively participate in celebrating Delta Upsilon’s foundational principles: the promotion of friendship, the development of character, the diffusion of liberal culture and the advancement of justice. These principles, proclaimed nearly 190 years ago, remained at the core of the fraternity’s mission and were carried out when the Grand Forks chapter was founded by Fred Mitchell in 1961.  

The heart of Christensen’s address was filled with gratitude towards those who contributed to the fruition of the new chapter house. He acknowledged the tireless efforts of the organizing committee, which nurtured the vision of the new building over the past five years from a mere concept to a tangible reality.  

Christensen also paid homage to deceased brothers, whose memories and legacies bolster the fraternity’s enduring bonds. He emphasized the chapter house as a beacon for future generations, hoping it would foster the same sense of community and brotherhood that alums experienced while at UND.  

Lynn Luckow, a campaign co-chair, detailed the exhaustive volunteer work and fundraising efforts that led to a record $5.4 million raised for the new chapter house. Co-chair Rod Kirsch noted the historical significance of this achievement. UND’s Delta Upsilon Founder and Neil West, the second Chapter President, reflected on the fraternity’s foundational vision and values while stressing the importance of strong community bonds.  

Current Chapter President Keith Wilson and Chapter Advisor Brad Aafedt discussed the new house’s role in enhancing recruitment and fostering brotherhood and academic excellence. Both note that the latest chapter house, with its state-of-the-art facilities, is expected to be a significant draw for prospective members, enhancing the fraternity’s appeal to incoming students at a time when recruitment is down nationally.   

Cassie Gerhardt, UND’s Associate Vice President of Student Affairs, commended Delta Upsilon’s positive influence on campus life and its alignment with university values. Thomas Durein, President of Delta Upsilon International, celebrated the chapter’s accomplishments and its role in the global fraternity community.  

The dedication highlighted alumni generosity from the donor’s perspective. Katie and Doug Mark discussed their motivation to support the project and give back to an organization that significantly shaped their lives.  

As the ceremony concluded, the new Delta Upsilon chapter house doors officially opened, and the fraternity at UND looked toward a future where its members continued to embody and promote its cherished values and a home for brothers present and future.  

Delta Upsilon members noted the importance of the expansive space when discussing the new chapter house. With an overview of the coolie, they hope to host more events, and during recruitment this past spring, they used it to their advantage by playing yard games in their backyard.  

When asked why a student should join their fraternity, a common theme announced was the brotherhood that Delta Upsilon focuses on. Instead of being a social fraternity, Delta Upsilon is focused on scholastic excellence with low dues and scholarships for members. During the fraternity’s founding, secret societies and groups were prominent. To rebel against the role of secret societies during the civil war, Delta Upsilon was focused on anti-secrecy, preferring to be transparent in their operations and recruitment. The motto of anti-secrecy was changed to non-secrecy. Shifting the process to know where Delta Upsilon actively engages with recruits by sharing how they operate in an eight-week long program before offering bids to prospective members.  

Delta Upsilon members note their focus on community involvement by volunteering for non-profits like Circle of Friends. They also shared their desire to open to the campus community and plan to do so through their upcoming philanthropic events.   

For further information, you can follow their social media account @deltaupsilon_und. 

Davíd Moreno is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at daví[email protected].