Campus could benefit from more dining options

Squires Dining Center is one of a handful of places to eat on campus. UND could benefit from more dining locations on campus. Photo courtesy of iconarchitects.com

Eating on campus makes things convenient for most students. I would say the Memorial Union offering several different eating locations and options is even better.

I’ve talked to students before about how they are grateful that UND as a whole has a wide range of dining service options.

Within those conversations though, I have been told that some dining service places don’t offer enough variety. Because I eat on campus a lot, I can say I agree, with some hesitation. Each dining center offers a variety of culinary experiences.

With so many eating places here on campus, one would hope that surely there could be a place that could compensate for one’s needs. When some students can’t find food that fits their fancy there is always the option of going out to eat.

I believe there are plenty of food options when you consider what’s being offered at UND as well as other restaurants around Grand Forks.

While the range might be small, I think that there are still good establishments to choose from.

Sometimes it seems the same food is offered every week on campus. I think it is important to consider what’s convinient for meeting their hunger needs. In the midst of food and what is offered, our community could benefit from having more options represented from various cultures.

Our student body has a wide range of people and students. Even though we do have a fair range of food to choose from, it limits us to what we already know.

Culture nights at UND are a good representation of how foods from various cultures help bring the community together while exposing us to new things.

The campus could benefit from trying new things and what is included in that process is food that can give people a taste of different cultures.

I have friends who come from a wide span of different locations and food is often the expression of how their culture is celebrated.

I believe our community could benefit from having more culturally diverse foods available in the dining centers that reflect all UND students.

I am not saying the dining centers do not already do this as best they can. I am simply advocating for more of these types of dinner options.

I know how lonesome it can be to be so far away from home.

Sometimes seeing things that remind one of home and one’s culture helps ease some of that homesickness. I think it would be a cool thing for UND to incorporate and give faculty and students more diverse opportunities.

Amina Chinnell-Mateen is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]