Wake Up and Cycle at the UND Wellness Center

Have your new year’s fitness goals already gone south? I know mine have. Between a packed work schedule and compiling schoolwork, it has become more difficult finding time to stay active. This prompted me to spark a change within my daily routine and find a way to get back on track towards my personal goals.  

Following a conversation with a friend, the idea of trying a group exercise class came to mind, and I promptly visited UND’s website to see what classes were offered. To my surprise all classes are free for active UND students, and you simply had to pre-register in advance online.   

I decided to sign up for a Cycling Class called ‘Wake Up and Cycle’ this past Thursday morning, and it left me feeling rejuvenated and ready to start my day. The class takes place at the Wellness Center’s cycling studio and was led by one of the Wellness Center’s accredited Cycling instructors. The class started at 7 a.m. and lasted around 45 minutes. Having been the first cycling class I ever took, I found it difficult, however the group atmosphere and upbeat vibe within the studio pushed me through the workout, and overall, I had a great experience.   

The social aspect of the class is what I found particularly refreshing. Traditionally, I weight train alone and finding internal motivation on a day-to-day basis to train at an intense level can become difficult, especially when you factor in balancing schoolwork along with other external factors that are mentally draining. Through group exercise, you can feed off the energy of those around you to push through any fatigue you may traditionally face during a workout.  

Yet, what I found to be the most impactful part of my experience was how I felt immediately after the class. I felt alert, awake, and lively. On a morning in which I would have traditionally slept in, I now had a much-needed jumpstart to start my day and already accomplished something.   

For these reasons, I would strongly encourage you to try one the many Group Exercise classes that the Wellness Center offers for yourself. Whether you are seeking a challenge or escape from repetitive fitness routines, consider whether a Group Exercise Class is a good fit for you.   

Daniel Silva is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at [email protected].