UND hosts annual Family Weekend

UND hosted its 23rd annual Family weekend recently. Every fall, family members of students are invited to a number of events.

In order to make these activities possible, the Family Association Student Success Center coordinates the two, consecutive days. According to the UND website, the purpose of the weekend is to, “Learn about your student’s life at UND, get acquainted with other UND families, participate in UND educational and athletic activities, and take part in Grand Forks community events.”

Family Weekend events include experiencing a UND class, various tours of the campus, free sports events, bingo, family night and brunch.

Kristi Okerlund, the family association coordinator, has been planning this particular weekend every year since 2007. This is her favorite event because she receives the opportunity to greet each family and thank them for visiting campus.

“It’s a great way for families to reconnect within the first six weeks of the semester,” Okerlund said. “I love the excitement in the family’s faces as they reunite with their students.”

Okerlund says Family Weekend is important to students because they can see their families and take a break from studying. Each year, Okerlund tries to make Family Weekend exciting by spicing up the events up.

“As trends, family needs and requests change, so do the unique events,” Okerlund said.

This year two, brand new events were introduced: brunch at Gorecki Alumni Center and the Sweet Taste of Culture event. Okerlund was very excited for A Sweet Taste of Culture event because, “There was an overwhelmingly positive response with nearly 400 confirmed guests.”

Kassidi Andres is a features reporter for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]