UND Wellness Center cycling takes off

Are you looking for an exciting and unique group exercise class? Then cycling is highly recommended by personal trainer and future UND fitness instructor Alisha Namanny. Spinsanity, an intense level three cycling class, is held every Tuesday from 5 to 5:45 p.m.

But if you’re more of a morning person in search of less vigorous activity, then Wake Up and Cycle is just right for you. According to the University of North Dakota’s website, the level 2 class has “motivating music, videos, disco lights and black lights too.” The class can help kick-start your Tuesday or Thursday mornings from 6 to 6:45 a.m.

However, if mornings aren’t your thing, try the level two Music Video Cycle class every Wednesday from 5 to 5:45 p.m. You could also try out the level 2 Night Ride class on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 8 to 8:45 pm.

A graduate of Chico State, Namanny earned her major in Kinesiology with an emphasis in fitness and wellness. Not only is Namanny a certified personal trainer, but she is also certified in cycling and will soon be a certified group exercise instructor at UND’s Wellness Center.

In Namanny’s opinion, group cycling classes are an attractive form of exercise because, “It’s a fantastic cardio workout.”

Cycling has many benefits: Not only are the leg muscles and core targeted, but the entire body is as well.

Also, instead of going for a run which can cause straining the knees, cycling is a great alternative way to increase cardiovascular endurance without injuring joints.

One of the most important factors in group exercise classes is time management. Participants and their friends can incorporate a scheduled cycling class into their routine every Tuesday and Thursday from one of the sessions. However, Namanny did mention the importance of switching up your routine. Cycling is not the only form of exercise to keep a person fit. A proper diet, weight lifting and other cardio workouts are important fitness factors.

“The work out breaks up the monotony of going on a run or going on a bike ride by yourself,” Namanny said. “It pushes you to do more than you normally would by yourself.”

Students may also prefer cycling over other group classes at UND because it is more strenuous than others.

“When you go into the class, you know you’re going to sweat,” Namanny said. “Granted, a lot of people forget that they aren’t moving, so the wind is not blowing against them. You drip sweat.”             According to Namanny, students typically have a lot of fun in these classes.

Music correlates with the activity. For instance, a sprint has a fast-paced song while an uphill ride with a lot of resistance has a slower song with a heavier beat. There are black lights and disco lights that change depending if the class is biking either on a flat surface, uphill, at a slow pace or at a sprint.

Afterward, there is a beneficial cool-down and stretch. Alisha not only hopes that students enjoy cycling, but she also urges them to attend at least one of the classes.

Kassidi Andres is a features reporter for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]