UND Wellness Center adds several new programs

With more and more classes requiring Internet use and computers, it can be all too easy to get caught up in the flashy tech life while forgetting about the natural side of things.

The goal of the Outdoor Nation Campus Challenge is to get students back into the wild and unwind from the their high-stress, technology dependent lives. UND is one of the 57 schools participating in the nationwide challenge.

“The purpose of the event is to get people outside and see the outdoors,” Coordinator of Fitness and Nutrition Steph Hoffman said. “It’s open to the students, staff and Grand Froks citizens, and the school that gets the most people outdoors wins the competition.”

To earn points for the school, participants must first sign up online at www.oncampuschallenge.org.

“The six-week challenge goes from Sept. 6 to Oct. 17,” Hoffman said. “Basically, you need to take pictures of yourself doing something outside.”

While students are encouraged to do their own outdoor activities, several options are also offered through the Wellness Center.

“We have a number of programs every Wednesday from noon to 2 p.m.,” Assistant Director of Wellness Programs Patrick Marcoe said. “On Sept. 9, we’ll be offering free inline skate rentals at the Outpost in the Wellness Center.

Culinary Corner

The Culinary corner is also offering several new classes, along with some of the proven favorites.

“We’re trying a few different things in the Culinary Corner this year,” Hoffman said.  “One of our new classes is the Friday Night Cookout, where students can learn how to cook meals on the grill.”

The free classes go from 6 to 7 p.m. and begin on Sept. 11. The program is open to anyone with a Wellness Center Membership. Prior registration is required.

“We are also starting Healthful Baking, where students can learn to make healthier desserts,” Hoffman said.

Classes last from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. and start on Sept. 17. The cost is $10 and is due at time of registration.

Brendan McCabe is the features editor for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]