UND student earns spot in exhibition

Student Lexi Hanson stands with her art, presented at the 6th Annual “Of Memory, Bone and Myth” Photo Exhibition. Photo by Chester Beltowski/The Dakota Student.

North Dakota is not usually known for its thriving cultural life. When people think of our state, sprawling prairies and endless cornfields are typically the first things that come to mind. But this could not be further from the truth.

North Dakota is home to many talented artists and multiple art galleries, one of which is currently featured in the Hughes Fine Arts Center titled “Of Memory, Bone and Myth.”

The photo exhibit will be running until Feb. 19, and is open from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. It’s open from Monday through Friday, and is based on the varied perception of memory.

“‘Of Memory, Bone and Myth’ has to do with memories and how we retain them,” associate professor of Art and Design Suzanne Gonsalez-Smith said. “The whole concept is that is the photo real? Is it fake? Is it alive, or is it dead?”

When asked what she would tell somebody who was on the fence about attending the exhibition, Gonsalez-Smith replied, “I would tell them it’s a really good way for someone to see how different people perceive memories. It defines how we handle a memory.”

What makes the pieces in this exhibit stand out from the rest is the unique way they are chosen.

“‘Of Memory, Bone and Myth’ is a nationally juried exhibit,’ Art and Design department chair Art Jones said. “This means that every year an outside juror is brought in, and that juror will come in and not only judge but also meet with students to critique their work and give guest lectures.”

“The photographs in ‘Of Memory, Bone and Myth’ embrace the notion of invention as they suggest ways of interpreting our everyday life beyond that of factual events,”  this year’s juror Thomas Young said — photographer and professor of art emeritus at Greenfield Community College.

Artists from around the country could submit work to the “Of Memory, Bone and Myth” photo exhibition, with a chance to win a grand prize of $300.

“We had 54 candidates enter this year, and each had the opportunity to submit four pieces,” Gonsalez-Smith said. “Out of those 54, we chose 13 artists’ work for the exhibition.”

Despite these artists being from around the nation, a student from the University of North Dakota managed to pass the juror’s stringent standards and had their work included in the exhibition.

“There was one student local to UND that made it this year,” Gonsalez-Smith said. “In the past we have had grad students win the grand prize. It is awesome to see students trump the pros.”

Brendan McCabe is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].