The business of branching out: Hatchet Apparel

Being a young business owner is something many students dream about. It’s one thing to have an idea, but it’s another to have the drive and the resources to move forward. Nick Thompson, founder of Hatchet Apparel, is currently making that dream a reality.

“I’ve always had a really crazy passion for clothes,” Thompson said, who owns roughly 60 pairs of shoes and 70 hats.

“At a young age I knew that I didn’t want to work for somebody,” Thompson said. “I was always into clothing, and into the design/art side as well, so I kind of just brought all three together.”

Thompson credits his interest in entrepreneurship to his father and uncle, who are both self-employed. The latter is no stranger to small business — Kelly Thompson, Thompson’s uncle, owns both Urban Stampede and Ink Inc. in downtown Grand Forks, and assists Nick with screen printing needs for his company.

Hatchet Apparel has been up and running for a little over a year now, but the idea itself was several years in the making. Those years consisted of extensive traveling, research and becoming familiar with the clothing industry.

Thompson had help along the way from friend and former business partner Tom Hadlich, who assisted heavily in the initial graphic design aspect of the process. About six straight months went into the hard work of getting things in order such as the name, design and branding.

The Hatchet brand name derives from the object itself; a tool used outdoors. Like the small ax, Thompson’s clothes are geared towards an outdoor lifestyle, with a product line made up of mostly hats and sweatshirts for casual wear. The company’s slogan, “Branch Out,” encourages customers to seek adventure in the outdoors.

Not being a student at the time, Thompson was inspired by his business endeavors to explore his options for education.

“I had the creative ideas, but not the tools or knowledge to bring those designs or ideas to fruition,” said Thompson.

Thompson was then introduced to several UND professors in the graphic design, business and entrepreneurship disciplines by Hadlich. These meetings were pivotal, not only in building knowledge, but assisting in ideas and providing constructive criticism. Shortly after, Thompson enrolled at UND.

“Before, I was not a student, I wasn’t doing anything,” said Thompson. “My family members were obviously supporting me, but they saw more potential in me than what I was doing at the time.”

His education has improved his knowledge of the business world, and has made it possible for logos and designs to be more of his own work. However Thompson does not shy away from reaching out to other artists. Thompson frequently collaborates with other graphic designers and photographers to further improve and market his brand. He uses Hatchet Apparel as not only a platform for his own advancement, but as a means to join forces with other creative minds.

Currently, Thompson is living in a reality that doesn’t always seem real to him. At just 23, he already has a year under his belt of managing his own clothing line.

“It’s weird being young and owning a company,” Thompson said. “I feel like some people are thinking ‘Oh, this kid does have his head on straight.’”

Serianna Henkel is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].