Captains chosen to lead golf team

LEADERS: Rachel Oeltjen chosen as 2013-14 women’s golf team captain

As everyone gets settled back onto campus for the start of the school year, the UND women’s golf team named its captains for the upcoming season and gave out awards from the end of last season.

The captains are voted on by the team, and the 2013-14 season will have one senior and two juniors serving. The captain will be senior Rachel Oeltjen, with juniors Amanda Fairweather and Mikayla Kromy by her side as assistant captains.

Oeltjen, the only senior on the team this year, will have the eyes of her teammates following her since she has the most experience and has seen the competition. As the captain, she will be expected to show leadership and help her team through every obstacle. She will not be alone, however, with Fairweather and Kromy sharing the captain duties. The team will have five underclassmen and four upperclassmen this season, balancing experience and leadership.

Last season, Fairweather was awarded the volunteer of the year award, racking up the most community service hours. Current sophomore Abbie Mozzetti received two awards — rookie of the year and most valuable player. Mozzetti was the top placer at the Big Sky Conference Championship last season and had the top stroke average of the team. Kromy was the unsung hero of the team last season and it helped her to become one of this season’s captains. Both Mozzetti and Fairweather helped lead the team last year in tournaments as underclassmen, each player had UND’s best score in four tournaments respectively.

Tryouts for this season’s UND women’s golf team will be held today and Saturday at King’s Walk Golf Course. The tryouts will begin at 3 p.m. today and 1 p.m. Saturday.

Tryouts will be open to all students who are academically eligible and are full-time students at UND; however students have to be registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center. If students are interested in trying out, they must contact head coach Natalie Martinson prior to tryouts. Additional information about tryouts is provided on the UND athletics web page.

Once tryouts are concluded and the team has been decided, they will have about a week to get ready before the season starts. Competition will start Sept. 6th against Concordia College in Detroit Lakes, Minn.

Mariah Holland is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].