First N.D. mock trial team takes a win

UND mock trial competitors (pictured left to right): Chris Restemayer, Nicole Streifel, David Lapthorn, RaeAnn Drewlow, Joy Nelson, Noah Hubbard, Nick Nelson. Photo submitted.

The first competitive undergraduate mock trial team in the state of North Dakota was formed last spring at UND. Since the team’s formation, it had been preparing for its first competition held a few weeks ago.

Six UND competitors traveled to Northfield, Minn. for the Ole Open Tournament at St. Olaf College.

During the course of the four round tournament, UND competed against the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, the University of Minnesota – Duluth, The University of Wisconsin – Parkside and Grinnell College from Iowa.

After the first round, UND was on top.

“I started the team in the spring semester last year,” Senior Christopher Restemayer said. “I’m a transfer student from Bemidji State University, and I had competed for three years there. When I transferred, I was surprised to find that UND didn’t have a team, especially since it has a resident law school. I figured a mock trial program could have a lot of success here, so I decided to start one. Anyone who is interested can join, and anyone who wants to put in the effort to learn the game can get a competition role on the team.”

Looking at the rest of the year, the mock trial team is looking to do more invitational in the spring semester, and they have been slotted for the American Mock Trial Regional Tournament at Washburn University in Topeka, Kan. on Feb. 20-22.

“As far as the make-up of our team, it is primarily students that are at least thinking about law school,” Restemayer said. “The nature of the program tends to attract students that are interested in attending law school, but it isn’t a requirement, and we aren’t exclusively pre-law students.

“Currently, we have one member who is a criminal justice major and another who is petroleum engineering, and both have played both witnesses and attorneys in competition and been successful, so there is no advantage to being a pre-law student as far as roles and participation goes.”

About mock trial

The mock trial program is a series of competitive trial simulation tournaments held around the country. There are currently over 300 participating colleges and universities, and its governed by the American Mock Trial Association, who creates case materials every year, establishes the rules for competition and hosts regional and culminating national tournaments in the spring.

The purpose is to develop critical thinking and public speaking skills, and to increase knowledge of the court system and its procedures.

Katie Haines is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].