North Dakota takes over No. 1 spot

Junior forward Drake Caggiula skates at Ralph Engelstad Arena last weekend. Photo by Chester Beltowski/the Dakota Student.

For the first time since the 2010-11 season, the UND men’s hockey team’s success has placed it in the No. 1 spot in national polls.

That doesn’t mean much to UND coach Dave Hakstol or the team.

But for fans watching a team that has suffered only three losses in its past 15 games, the most recent USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls create commotion and a reason to hope.

“Take it for what it is,” Hakstol said. “They’re great for college hockey fans. I think people do watch them. It hasn’t affected our week in any way, shape or form. We haven’t even discussed it as a staff or a team, and I don’t think it’s anything on our radar. Maybe this week it’s a good thing for our fans. But in general, I think it generates discussion and a little bit of excitement for college hockey fans. Let’s take the good of it.”

North Dakota will host Lake Superior State this weekend at Ralph Engelstad Arena in a nonconference battle and its last home series until January.

While its 3-13 record may not place Lake Superior in the winning column, UND has turned its glances away from the numbers and toward the Lakers’ competitive and hard working players — much the same as it has all season.

Despite setbacks and injuries through the first portion of the season that left UND skaters stepping up to fill roles they expected or not, they developed a mentality of adversity.

“We’ve found a way,” Hakstol said. “We found a way, and that’s good. That’s guys believing in each other. It’s guys really being all in with the team concept, and that’s not always easy to do. You have to recognize not only guys that are maybe playing out of position a little bit, you also have to recognize guys that are in and out of the lineup.”

Tucker Poolman rose to the challenge when he showcased his versatility in moving from defense to forward.

Andrew Panzerella proved his competence in joining his teammates in the lineup.

Far from North Dakota’s home opener loss against Bemidji in early October, the later part of the first half of the season is in full swing, and those small glances at North Dakota’s will to fill varying roles within the team are reassuring of this team’s depth.

“We’re not flying high by any stretch of the imagination,” Hakstol said. “We’re 3-2-1 in our last six games. We’re playing against good hockey teams and we’re playing pretty good hockey ourselves, so that’s encouraging.”

But for the first time since the 2002-03 season, North Dakota has soared above 10 wins — rebounding from last November, when UND went 3-6-1 to tally its most losses in one month in 21 years.

There’s added excitement for fans.

But for the UND men’s hockey team, the No. 1 ranking means more than intimidating competitors.

“I think we get every team’s best when they come to the Ralph, so I don’t think it adds any extra pressure,” UND sophomore Troy Stecher said. “It’s something our team can handle, something we can mature on.”

There’s added excitement for fans.

There’s added excitement for fans.

Elizabeth Erickson is the sports editor of The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].