Annual Homecoming parade draws crowd

Annual Homecoming parade draws crowd

The UND Memorial Union food court float was a car donated by Rydell for the homecoming parade on Saturday. Photo by Ashley Carlson/The Dakota Student.

Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day for “Big Wheels to keep on Turning,” as the annual homecoming parade, sponsored by Rydell, made its way down University Avenue.

The perfect fall conditions brought out a good crowd as families gathered on the sidewalks sporting their UND apparel and ready to watch as businesses and organizations paraded down the street in tractors, trailers, unicycles and bicycles, on foot or in a new vehicle donated by Rydell for the event.

After having a rainy parade last year that caused many participants to pull out at the last minute, this year turned out to be a great day for UND fans.

“I was impressed by the turnout,” UND freshmen Alexander Erickson said. “It really shows the support of the community.”

Students and families gathered along the street on University Avenue anticipating the start of the parade.

Businesses and student organizations created their own float ideas and passed out candy to kids waiting excitedly with plastic bags.

The UND College of Business and Public Administration was also there passing out coffee and hot chocolate to the public.

“It was a really fun parade and there was a lot of cool floats,” UND senior Marie Lindgren said. “I’m glad UND can bring in the family component.”

Some famous Grand Forks faces made an appearance in the parade, joining in the Homecoming festivities. Local celebrity Marilyn Hagerty took the lead of the march, waving at the crowd as she rode along in a red GMC Sierra, donated by Rydell. Musical duo Tigirlily, known for its song “North Dakota,” was in the march, joining Miss Grand Forks Abby Mattson, who rode up in a silver Camaro.

Many student organizations chose to take part this year. Some included those from fraternities and sororities and others included students from residence halls such as Smith, who displayed its mascot by decking out a pickup as a shark. Various student organizations included Studio One, the Nursing student association, Females for Firearms, ROTC, the UND bookstore, among many others.

UND President Kelley and first lady Marcia were also a part of the parade escorted by student ambassadors.

“I had so much fun being a part of this event,” UND Student Ambassador Nikki Streifel said. “And seeing the community come out to celebrate UND and show some school spirit.”

Ashley Carlson is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].