Protests seek Hong Kong democracy

Over the past week, I have been consulting the many headlines in the news. The ominous threats of Ebola and ISIS have grown monotonous, and frankly, somewhat boring. But then I came across the pro-democracy reforms in Hong Kong and realized something remarkable is occurring.

The student led protests started about a week ago. Their primary goals are to enact open democratic elections and force the resignation of the current Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying. Central to the protest is one guiding principle: Peaceful civil disobedience.

In order to understand why these students are protesting, you must first understand the complex situation that Hong Kong finds itself in. Hong Kong is an autonomous region of the People’s Republic of China, known as a Special Administrative Region. It runs on its own capitalist system and has its own democratically elected leader, known as the Chief Executive of Hong Kong.

And this is where the problem arises. You see, the Chief Executive is elected by the Election Committee, a group of 1200 comprised of private citizens, and special interest groups. Moreover, the candidates must be approved by this same election committee.

The protests have been planned and organized for several weeks. The leaders have offered training in dealing with tear gas and police interaction. Many of the protestors subjected themselves to water cannons so they could handle the pain when the police inevitably suppressed the revolts. But throughout the week everything has been largely peaceful. So what can we glean from this?

What I find truly fascinating is what these students are willing to give up. Thousands of college students are sacrificing their education. They are passing up a semester because they feel passionate enough to bring about reform. You have to ask yourself, what would you be willing to give up to fight for political justice?

I also commend these protests because they are taking the moral high ground. Mobilizing thousands of students for a common goal is no small feat. But protesting for several days under an umbrella of peace demonstrates the true resolve of our generation. In a historical perspective; successful peaceful protests are rare. Violent clashes are an inevitable feature of protesting, but the pro democracy protests are maintaining peaceful order at all costs. This indicates how the movement is sensible and deeply dedicated to reform.

I personally find the protests to be very inspiring. The collective global society is facing many serious issues. I always hear the refrain that, “future generations will fix the world’s problems.” This is a quintessential example of passionate youth fighting for change. If more groups across the world understand the principles of this movement then radical change is entirely possible.

I strongly encourage everyone to follow the protests as they unfold. While doing this, examine areas in your life where you perceive any type of injustice. It may be a grade on an exam, it may be the minimum wage, and could even be the way your friends socialize. Evaluate ways in which you may be able to reconcile this injustice. Create a pragmatic plan of action and fight for what you believe in. If we all try to bring about change in peaceful ways I believe we can make the world a better place. But remember, peaceful, organized, and logical interaction is absolutely essential.

I hope the protests are successful because it would be meaningful for the entire world. However, the protesters are up against a staunch communist backed government. The Chinese are notorious for being unyielding in all matters of politics. If the students remain patient and committed to their goals I think they will emerge victorious. In one sense I think they have already achieved victory. They have sent a message that the entire world has readily accepted. The global youth is passionate, prudent, and dedicated to change.

Colin Mummery is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].