One-Stop services opening next month

This office in the Memorial Union will be the new home of the One-Stop Student Services. Photo by Larry Philbin/The Dakota Student.

UND’s One-Stop Student Services will be open for business in the Memorial Union on Oct. 7.

One-Stop will have its grand opening from 12:30 to 1 p.m., followed by an open house held from 1 to 4 p.m. The following day, it will begin its normal business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

“One-Stop really was created to provide one location for student questions,” One-Stop Director Josh Lindenberg said, adding that there will be a variety of services for students.

Utilizing the space previously held by the University Federal Credit Union on the first floor of the Union, One-Stop will provide the combination of the Registrar’s Office, Student Financial Aid, Student Account Services and Parking Services.

Lindenberg said the idea came from administrators asking themselves, “Where can we be more proactive as an institution?”

With three full-time staff members on board, the hub will be able to answer basic student questions and provide solutions for the simpler problems. For more complicated issues, however, students still will have to go to each designated place in Twamley, Lindenberg said.

“It is part of the larger retention and graduation initiative,” Lindberg said, which puts One-Stop on the same list as the university’s new major declarations policy — taking effect Fall 2015.

One-Stop also will be using software developed by Starfish Retention Solutions. The software, which is used by multiple universities already, will enable staff members to track student questions and keep notes on interactions they have with students to give a holistic view of what students have been missing.

“It’s something we’re all excited about, and we know that students will really appreciate the service,” Lindenberg said.

Jamie Hutchinson is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].