Senate approves deputy chief of staff position

Senator Ryan Brown (left) and Brandon Beyer (right). Photo by Chester Beltowski/The Dakota Student.

Senate approved three resolutions at its meeting on Sept. 14. The biggest of those resolutions included approving the deputy chief of staff position — which will be held by Montana Popehn this year — and approving changes to the University Programming Council’s constitution.

The changes to UPC’s constitution mean UPC now has to come to senate with project proposals over $20,000 compared to the previous $15,000. UPC spokespeople Cheyenne Johnson and Leah Larson said they got some event proposals that are just over the previous $15,000 mark so the new mark will make it easier for the proposals to go through.

Student Body President Tanner Franklin took time to speak about the first meeting he had to discuss the repurposing of the medical school.

“We are looking to get a general direction, a plan before the next legislative session starts,” Franklin said.

Franklin also talked about the Campus Committee Coalition that is looking to reduce student binge drinking. The group is looking to create an event to be held the same day as Springfest next spring, similar to Spring Jam, but on a smaller scale.

“We’re looking to take student away from drinking for a few hours,” Franklin said. “If we move Springfest downtown, we can limit drinking at house parties.”

It was also announced that UND will hold an open forum about Measure 3 on Oct. 7. The event will be held from 5-7 p.m. in the Loading Dock and will be open for all to attend.

Megan Hoffman is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].