University Senate holds first meeting

President Robert Kelley opens the first University senate meeting of the year. Photo by Chester Beltowski/The Dakota Student.

University Senate kicked off the new school year on Sept. 4 with its first meeting, welcoming old and new faces.

The senate is the legislative body at UND. It helps to set requirements for student admission, classes and degrees on campus. It also is an avenue for discussion by all groups of people on campus and acts as a consultant to President Robert Kelley.

Rebecca Weaver-Hightower was elected as Vice Chair/Chair Elect, Curt Stofferahn and Kathy Smart were elected as faculty representatives to the Committee on Committees, Dana Harsell was elected as faculty representative and Tanner Franklin was elected as student representative on the Senate Executive Committee at the Sept. 4 meeting.

One proposal discussed was the Major Declaration Policy Proposal, which would require students to pick a major by an undetermined point in their college career. If the proposal passed, it would be with the goal of graduating more students within a four year period the university aims for.

There also were proposals to change wording on the Standing Committee and the Essential Studies Committee documents.

The next meeting will be held on Oct. 2.

Megan Hoffman is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].