Med school to be repurposed

Construction projects are taking place all across campus, with one of the biggest projects being the new medical school.

The project is supposed to be completed in time for the start of the fall 2015 semester. With the addition of that new building on campus, the question of what to do with the current building is now on the minds of UND administration and leaders.

Student Body President Tanner Franklin is part of a group that will listen to feedback and input from people all around campus and put forth recommendations. Plans have to be submitted to the state by Jan. 1 in order to get possible funding.

“We’re looking to have as much student feedback as possible,” Franklin said. “We want to know what’s lacking at UND.”

A new student government website will be up in the next week, and the repurposing of the medical school will be a topic on the website where students will be able to put forth their comments.

“I think it could be used as a commercialization space for more businesses and restaurants on campus,” Franklin said.

Franklin said other possibilities include using the top floors for graduate student housing or using laboratories for other departments.

Anatomy laboratories on the bottom floor will continue to be used by the medical school because costs were too high to transfer them.

“It all comes down to the cost, and money,” said Franklin. “But we have this awesome 200,000 square foot building, what can we do with it?”

A new Student Government website will be up in the next week, and the repurposing of the medical school will be a topic on the website where students will be able to put forth their comments.

“It all comes down to the cost and money,” said Franklin. “But we have this awesome 200,000 square foot building. What can we do with it?”

Megan Hoffman is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].