Taskforce being assembled

UND begins process of prioritizing spending among campus groups

Consultant Larry Goldstein will lead UND’s prioritization project. Photo by Chester Beltowski/The Dakota Student.

UND will be going through changes in the next year to make the institution operate better.

The university brought in a consultant to get the first phase of change rolling last week.

The Program and Support System Service Prioritization presentations were done over two days by consultant Larry Goldstein.

Goldstein started his own business, Campus Strategies, LLC, more than a decade ago to help universities around the country prioritize their spending.

His model is designed to help universities run more effectively.

“Strategic planning is about newer, bigger and better,” Goldstein said during one of four sessions he hosted last week.

Two taskforces will be created in the next several weeks to start looking at ways the university can be improved. One group will focus on academics and the other on support services, including groups like Facilities Management, Dining Services, Student Involvement and Student Health Services.

The taskforces will be made up of faculty and staff members nominated by their peers. The groups will meet from April through December, after which they will submit their findings for consideration or action within the university.

Specific changes to the university are unknown at this time, since no meetings have taken place, but Goldstein said cuts are likely to happen in order to improve efficiency.

“We need to say we’re willing to reduce resources and not be great at everything,” Goldstein said. “Certain things that are done don’t need to be done the way they’re done now.”

Megan Hoffman is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].