Library hours good, not great

Chester Fritz Library extends hours, but not enough.

The Chester Fritz Library now boasts extended hours. Photo via Flickr.

As a transfer student to UND last semester, there were many things I found to be a massive improvement on my previous experiences in college.

However, there also was one major setback that was, last semester, sometimes distressing. I’m talking about the hours of the Chester Fritz Library, which were so restrictive, especially on the weekends, that it made studying in the Memorial Union necessary for me.

Luckily, the university decided, with the support of Student Government, that the hours for the library needed to be extended. It is now open on Fridays from 7:45 a.m. to 9 p.m., and on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The new hours went into effect last Friday.

There are a few different directions I can go with this, but here is one that seems to be a key talking point, that, to me, still really isn’t addressed: The ideas of finding other things to do beyond drinking and partying on the weekend, and establishing and keeping a safe culture on the university.

Extending the hours of library operations is a great thing to do, but, I want to see, at some point, 24-hour-a-day library operations.

It gives students who want to study or just find a quiet area on campus someplace to go. Honestly, the library being open till 9 p.m. does help, but a lot of students work on weeknights past that time. Even beyond work, there is that ever-occurring event that happens routinely at the Ralph: UND men’s hockey games, which end after 9 p.m. as well.

I am aware that students who have to be studying on a night of a hockey game probably shouldn’t attend, but having a 24-hour library would give those who want to go to the games and go to the library later that night the opportunity to do so.

I am not unappreciative of the hard work it took everyone involved to extend the library hours. On the contrary, I think that it is a great accomplishment. I truly hope the extension is a major success and that the library does see more students per night.

I am hoping, however, that in the near future we can see the hours extend even further.

Micah Dewey is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].