UND to hire new VP

New university position geared toward diversity and inclusion on campus.

UND began a search Thursday to fill a new position — the associate vice president for diversity and inclusion. An advisory Committee in President Robert Kelley’s office determined the position should be added to serve the best interests of the university.

Thursday, Peter Rosenberg of Spelman Johnson — a national employment search firm — was on campus talking with faculty, staff and students to gauge what skills and characteristics they think the candidate who is hired for the position should have.

“(Rosenberg) will play a large role in the guiding process,” Dean of Students Cara Halgren said.

Rosenberg will assist Halgren and Dean of Arts and Sciences Debbie Storrs in the search for candidates suitable for the position. A national search will be conducted, but faculty at UND will not be ruled out for the position. This is a new position at UND, but there are similar positions like this at other universities around the country.

According to Halgren, the associate vice president for diversity and inclusion will, “lead efforts in development and implementation of a strategic vision and operational plan for advanced responsible for overseeing and assisting programs on campus related to diversity such as Multicultural Student Services, the International Center, the Women’s Center, American Indian Student Services and LGBTQA services.

Halgren expects the move to have a positive impact on students in the future by paying greater attention to the diversity on campus.

“This will allow the university to think about diversity and include broader and deeper ways to touch every aspect of the student experience,” Halgren said. “It will affect the curriculum of the classes in different ways than it has before.”

No dates are set in stone as to when the university expects to have the role filled, but the plan is to have finalists on campus in February. If an offer is made at that time, it is up to the university and individual to figure out a start date.

Megan Hoffman is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].