Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

UND Swing Club

Davíd Moreno

Every Wednesday from 8 to 10 p.m. at the UND Wellness Center, a group of students come together to learn new skills, challenge their fears, and get their exercise in a fun new way. No, this is not a HIIT class, it is swing dance.

Run by several officers, including current Swing Club President, Claudia Promschmidt, the UND Swing Club has seen major improvements after a brief downturn in attendees post Covid-19.

The club is focused on teaching both beginners and more advanced students East Coast Swing in a laid-back environment. Students are encouraged to bring a friend but will gladly take on newcomers who show up by themselves.

Madeline Joy Meek, the current historian for the Swing Club, first stumbled upon the club at a campus expo during her freshman year. Initially, she was attracted by the absence of crowds at their booth. “It kind of looked like an off club,” she recalled. For Meek, the prospect of learning dance for social events, particularly weddings, spurred her interest. “I figured that would be cool, kind of go out on the dance floor and look like I know what I’m doing,” Meek said.

Meek’s involvement quickly deepened from participant to teacher, fueled by a small but growing camaraderie and an early knack for leadership. “I got to know the officers very well,” Meek shared, highlighting her transition from learning to teaching dance, not just within the club but also to her brothers and friends. 

Outside of the weekly schedule, a key venue for practice and socialization is Arthur’s Barn.

Located in Arthur, North Dakota, Arthur’s Barn hosts live bands and events every two weeks, with a break in the summer. Meek and other club members often go, not only to hone their skills but also to socialize while pushing past their comfort zone, “dancing around and then daring each other to ask people to dance,” as Meek puts it. This experience, she believes, boosts confidence and the ability to integrate learned moves with actual music in a social setting. 

Meek speaks highly of the current officers, describing them as “fun, outgoing, kind,” and always eager to embrace new dance moves. This openness to learning and sharing knowledge creates an environment where beginners can improve at a fast pace.

Ian Indovina, one of the officers, shared his experience after a year and a half of joining. “I was nowhere near as good as I am today,” and now Indovina masterfully executes moves for club members, teaching both basic and advanced steps.

“It’s a great way for people to… kind of just relax after a long day of studying,” Meek explains, underscoring the club’s role in enhancing the college experience through fun, laughter, and learning.

For students looking for a unique way to engage with the campus community, gain new skills, and make new friends, the Swing Dance Club offers an inviting atmosphere. “It’s a good way to go out, have some fun, have some laughs, learn something new that you can actually put to use at any social event you go to.”

For any inquiries on how to join UND Swing Club you can follow their Instagram handle @undswingclub or Facebook page. 

Davíd Moreno is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at daví[email protected].