The Best Local Bites of Grand Forks

Processed with VSCO with m5 preset

As Grand Forks grows, the presence of local restaurants with all varieties of food continues to expand. While chain restaurants are affordable, quick, and easy, the smaller, more local restaurants have proven to possess not only delicious dishes, but rich tradition that runs deep through Grand Forks history. While I cannot speak to every local restaurant in town, there have been a few that have stood out in my three years of residency in the city.  

This past summer, I was able to experience Ely’s Ivy for the first time. One of the main missions is farm to table dining, done by obtaining their product from local sources. This mission is evident through their local, divinely handcrafted dishes. This may be important to some consumers, but Ely’s Ivy incorporates the restaurant and owners’ mission into every plate. With Happy Hour running from 3:30 to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday, you are bound to find a local, quality bite or drink for a very considerable price.  

In addition to Ely’s Ivy, I heard nothing but high praise for the Toasted Frog, nestled just a few blocks down from Ely’s Ivy. The Toasted Frog caters to guests 21 and older, providing a wide variety of entrees that consistently exceed expectations. Each drink and dish, handcrafted to perfection, is made to enjoy on your own or with others. The Toasted Frog is recognized for its fresh, unique environment and experience as well as their exceptional service, inviting residents and visitors alike to come and enjoy some of the best bites Grand Forks has to offer. 

Fairly new to the Grand Forks local restaurant ecosystem, Harry’s Steakhouse has quickly gained a reputable name that is recognized by many. Offering state-of-the-art steaks and side dishes, Harry’s offers a high-end environment. The history of Harry’s dates to before 1940, when “Happy Harry” Gershman opened a restaurant right next to present-day Harry’s Steakhouse. Gershman served steak from Chicago, offering the Grand Forks community a change in pace that was new and fresh. As the years passed, ownership of the building changed hands and was bought back by Gershman’s son, Hal Gershman, who holds a reputable name in the Grand Forks restaurant industry. In 2018, the building was bought back and renovated into what is now Harry’s Steakhouse. The building’s interior serves as a time capsule and a tribute to the past, inviting guests to experience high-quality food and a memorable experience. 

While there are many other great restaurants that Grand Forks has, these are just a few that have local history, values, and quality infused in their dishes. While Grand Forks has many chain restaurants, the real treasures lie within the local restaurants. By eating locally, you support small restaurants that preserve Grand Forks culture.  

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student Section Editor. She can be reached at [email protected].