“First Date” Musical Review

Processed with VSCO with m5 preset

The University of North Dakota’s Theater Department recently opened their musical production of “First Date,” a romantic comedy musical with performances that ran from November 9th to 11th and again this weekend from November 16th to 18th. The story follows the struggle of going on a blind date with someone who could not be more different from you. Aaron and Casey, played by Jace Toutenhoofd and Ella Henry, are set up on a blind date. Aaron is an awkward banker who is nervous about getting back into the dating world, and Casey is an aspiring artist who specializes in self-sabotage. 

This unique storyline was wonderfully portrayed by everyone involved in the production and as an avid theater lover, I was thoroughly impressed by the talent and passion that I saw on stage. Every single person involved seemed to be largely invested in the success of the production, and that is something to admire. One factor of this show that really stood out to me was the live pit. Having the music performed live was a wonderful choice that made the experience that much more special. Along with this, the effort and attention to detail that was put into set and costume design, as well as technical design, was not something that went unnoticed. 

A few individuals really stuck out to me throughout the performance. Ella Henry, who played Casey, caught my attention immediately. Her song “Safer” was the highlight of the performance for me as we saw her character fight an inner battle that so many can relate to. She used her beautiful voice to capture the audience’s attention by singing about a common struggle and did so wonderfully. Jace Toutenhoofd, who played Aaron, really stuck out to me as well. His comedic timing and ability to play off the other characters was truly commendable. Along with that, I thought Camden Gifford, who played the waiter, did a great job picking up the audience after a heavy scene by turning their attention to something more comedic and lighthearted. The other ensemble members including, Tacy Crawford, Kira Hartmann, Lexie Mull, and Anissa Oveson all contributed greatly to the performance and portrayal of the inner monologues of the main characters thoughts about their pasts and did a great job doing so. 

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed by the dedication of UND’s Theater Department to successfully put on a performance like this. This was the first musical performance I have been able to attend at UND, and I am looking forward to attending more. If you get the chance to see this musical, take it. 

Nora Lee is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]