An Academic Lifesaver

Very Short Introductions
Aubrey Roemmich

Like many individuals who are starting a career in academia, I often find myself overwhelmed with all the things I do not know. I am always finding myself at the intersections of subjects and fields. The further I get into my own education, the more I realize becoming an expert in one field requires you to become familiar with many others. This can seem like an insurmountable task that prevents students from moving forward with their own interests.  

Often while researching, there is not enough time to find multiple short, reliable sources that can give you a summary of topics that run parallel to your chosen topic. I have found that the best source for these dilemmas is the Oxford Very Short Introductions series. The Oxford Academic website describes these series as, “concise and original introductions to a wide range of subjects. Our expert authors combine facts, analysis, new insights, and enthusiasm to make often challenging topics highly readable to develop your core knowledge.” 

The Very Short Introductions have five main categories: arts and humanities, law, medicine and health, science and mathematics, and social sciences. They have over 800 books within this series, in which all have free abstracts available on the Oxford Academic website and are written by field experts in a way that is digestible to everyone. From niche theories to overarching ideas, this series has something to help anyone with their research. But my favorite features from these books lie at the back of each edition. Every book in the Very Short Introductions series has a reference page, recommendations for further reading, a glossary, and an index. When researching, these are invaluable tools for guiding your efforts.  

They also have many short biographies of influential individuals like Nelson Mandela, Mary Shelley, and Ludwig van Beethoven. These biographies talk not only about their lives, but also the influence they had in their fields and why they are still important. Another great aspect is that each book only costs around $11-12. On top of that, Chester Fritz has dozens of these books available physically and online.  

Research can often be overwhelming. The Very Short Introductions series is a great place to start or to brush up on older content. Not only are they written by experts in the field, they also are packed with other great resources like reading lists and the author’s references. These small books are a huge resource that anyone can use no matter where they are in their academic career. 

Aubrey Roemmich is a Dakota Student Section Editor. She can be reached at [email protected]