Record Store Day Rundown

Unsplash Images

For vinyl-lovers all around the world, the annual Record Store Day means a day filled with excitement and anticipation. Record Store Day was founded in 2007 by a group of independent record store owners with the intent of celebrating the community and culture of music and record stores around the world. 

Vinyl records faced a resurgence in the mid-2000’s, and today, records can be found in large chain stores available for purchase anytime. However, there’s a community of dedicated vinyl collectors who have been supporting the industry from the very start.  

This year, Record Store Day officially took place on April 22nd. On this day, independent record stores around the country receive exclusive and obscure record releases for vinyl-lovers to seek out. However, this isn’t the only event of the year. RSD Black Friday is an upcoming day where more obscure releases are sent out, and in Grand Forks, this event doesn’t go unnoticed. 

Budget Records is one of the record store locations here in the area that celebrates RSD Black Friday. A long line of eager shoppers will often weave its way out the front door, people bundled up and prepared to swiftly search rows of vinyls and CDs for their most desired releases. 

This event isn’t a last-minute decision for many. A list of RSD releases is shared online far before the event, and many shoppers will make lists of the releases they’re anticipating the most. This isn’t a day for browsing; the crowds won’t allow for it. Instead, store-goers will often be in search of just a few specific records, making the experience both hasty and intense.  

If waiting in the cold and standing shoulder-to-shoulder doesn’t sound like the way you want to spend your Friday after Thanksgiving, celebrating RSD Black Friday from home can be possible. Some independent record stores will sell their RSD releases online. This can be another way to support independent store owners without making the trek outside. 

If you’re looking to take part in RSD Black Friday, there are a handful of locations in the area that you can head to when the time comes. Budget Records on Washington Street is, as mentioned, a beloved record-buying location. Ojata Records, located in DogMahal on University Avenue, is another spot to seek out vinyls. Wherever you find yourself on RSD Black Friday, you’ll be sure to see the excitement and sense of community that mutual love for music brings.  

Ava Stockstad is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].