Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Fun Fall Festivities 

Unsplash Images

Arguably one of the most enjoyable seasons of the year, although short here in North Dakota, fall is a time for new starts, new classes, new friends, and new activities. On campus here at UND there are an abundance of things to do to get into the fall mood. With the multiple free activity and food vouchers and the number of Grand Forks events, there is never a shortage of things to do to feel festive this time of year.  

When you think of the perfect fall outing, what do you think of? Besides a Twilight movie marathon in your bed, Grand Forks is lucky to have local family-owned farm open their land to the public each fall where there is endless fall fun. Nelson’s Pumpkin Patch has been open to the public since 1996 and has been a Grand Forks favorite ever since. Nelson’s Pumpkin Patch offers various activities including hayrides, a corn maze, a haunted house, a petting zoo, the grain bar, and more. Pick up a voucher while supplies last for entry into Nelson’s Pumpkin Patch at the UND Student Involvement Office with a valid student ID, located in the Memorial Union Room 144, starting on Monday, October 9th through Sunday, October 22nd 

Fall is the perfect time of year to get cozy and curl up with a cookie on your couch. Real Good Cookies is offering one free cookie per student on Thursday, September 28th in the Student involvement office. Limited supply including vegan and gluten free options will be available.  

There is nothing quite like hot comfort food to keep you warm as the weather grows cold this fall. Stop by the memorial union on the main floor for some mac and cheese on Monday, October 16th while supplies last. 

Each month Student Involvement offers a craft for students to express their creative side, while also making something fun in the process. This upcoming month on Thursday, October 19th from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm, you can make a DIY sock pumpkin decoration. Stop in the student involvement office to make one while supplies last. All Student Involvement activities require a student ID. 

If you’re looking for some activities to check out outside of campus to stay in that fall feeling, check out these free scenic places in town.   

For a beautiful view of the fall colors, take a drive south down Belmont Road in Grand Forks in early October for a glorious depiction of what this beautiful season can bring. Play All Too Well, the 10-minute Version, twice through as you take in the beauty. On your way back to campus, check out the various parks throughout the Grand Forks area. My personal favorite during the fall is Lincoln Park. If you follow the river north on Belmont, you can see Lincoln Park in all its glory. Beautiful, aged trees line the park and golf course, arching over the road in a canopy of yellow and orange. It’s the perfect spot for your ideal fall photo op. If you haven’t already, catch University Park in mid-October for the same homey-fall feeling you’ve been longing for. The stone bridge, the metal artwork, and crunchy leaves under your feet, what could be better?  

Danika Ogawa is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].