2023 Potato Bowl Parade at UND

Every year, the Grand Forks community gathers to celebrate the Potato Bowl. Traditionally, the Potato Bowl is celebrated with a football game against Idaho to battle out the title for “best potato growing region,” the Red River Valley and Idaho being the two top competitors. What was once a ground for competition and title is now a ground for festivities and unity. Grand Forks hosts a multitude of events to celebrate, including the annual Potato Bowl football game, the KEM Shrine Potato Bowl Parade, the world’s largest French Fry Feed, and a golf tournament called Hugo’s Potato Bowl Scramble.  

This year’s Potato Bowl game was against Northern Arizona University at the Alerus Center. While the football game holds the heart of the tradition, the love has now spread through the weekend into various other activities, one of which being the KEM Shrine Potato Bowl Parade. Every year, organizations, businesses, clubs and teams from around the Greater Grand Forks area have the chance to sign up for the parade. The parade path spans from downtown Grand Forks to East Grand Forks, crossing Demers Avenue. Year after year, the parade has proven to be one of the most popular events, next to football, of course. This year was no exception and was highly anticipated by many. In past years, businesses from around the area, as well as clubs and organizations from UND are among those who participate. The parade is an excellent way to promote a business, club, or team. There is a small cost for an organization to join the march, however, anyone may attend the parade to watch, free of charge. The KEM Shrine Potato Bowl Parade is an event that caters to all ages and is just one of many ways you can celebrate the Potato Bowl.  

If you’re not necessarily into the parade scene, the football game is another great place to start. Tailgating has been a football tradition here at UND, and the excitement only builds when it comes to Potato Bowl weekend. Leading up to the football game, tailgate central outside of the Alerus is jammed packed, buzzing with excitement as the game approaches. This year, tailgate central was packed with alumni, students, and other community members that rallied to celebrate. It is a terrific way to have fun with friends, family, and other members of the Red River Valley.  

Sarah Wraalstad, a third-year student and hockey cheerleader, says that leading up to the parade there was much excitement that had built amongst her and the Hockey Cheer Team. Wraalstad says it’s “a great way to bond with her team and interact with the community.” The Hockey Cheer Team, as well as UND’s Dance and Cheer teams, were just a few of the teams that gathered to march in the parade for the Potato Bowl. This is Wraalstad’s third year marching in the parade, and she says that her excitement around the monumental weekend did not waver.   

The parade took place on September 9th, 2023. The parade commenced at 10 am and lasted around 2 and a half hours. There is no doubt that the Potato Bowl was, and has been, a place of excitement throughout the Grand Forks community. 

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].