Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Benefits of Becoming a Student Ambassador

As the new semester begins, you may want to find opportunities to get yourself involved on campus. While there are an abundance of clubs and organizations that may fit your vibe, there is one in particular that I have found to be extremely rewarding. Student Ambassadors provide students with the ability to volunteer their time, talent, and leadership skills by positively representing the university, creating meaningful connections with students, and also serving the community. By being a Student Ambassador, you work to make campus an inclusive, welcoming space, while acting as a leader on and off campus. No matter who you talk to, you will hear the same thing: getting involved is what makes the college experience go from good to great. Getting involved with clubs and organizations is a great way to do just that. Student Ambassadors provide the perfect volunteering opportunity to get involved and positively impact our campus.  

Every event planned on campus with Student Involvement uses the help of Student Ambassadors. By attending the events as a Student Ambassador, you can participate in said event, meet other students, and create connections with others that go extremely far. Just a couple weeks ago, all Student Ambassadors volunteered to help with Welcome Weekend. When events like Welcome Weekend occur, it is often forgotten that it takes hundreds of people to make an event of that magnitude possible. Student Ambassadors worked the whole weekend to ensure a proper welcome for new students, helped incoming first-year students move into their residence halls, and also showed new students where their new classes were. By doing so, Ambassadors were able to meet new students and show them around campus. This not only provides a sense of welcome, but also provides connections and friendship that can last beyond just the first weekend. Throughout Welcome Weekend, I was able to find other aviation majors, offer them advice based on my experience, and help them navigate the aerospace buildings. Helping students navigate schedules and giving advice is another task that Student Ambassadors can aid in. Not every event requires the amount of Student Ambassadors that Welcome Weekend did, but there is no doubt that your impact as a Student Ambassador is felt, regardless of the size of the event.  

Additionally, you may make friends within the Student Ambassador position. Just during Welcome Weekend alone, I met some very cool people who will be with me throughout the rest of my journey here at UND. With Student Ambassadors, you can sign up to volunteer at events that are interesting to you. Every food and DIY event that Student Involvement hosts needs Ambassadors to volunteer. By finding events that are interesting to you, you may find others with like-minded interests. For example, in a couple of weeks on September 18th, UND Student Involvement is hosting a DIY Lanyard and Keychain event. Student Ambassadors will help guide students through this creative process by being there for students while they participate in the event. By volunteering, ambassadors are able to participate in the DIY, get face-to-face time with other students, and answer any questions that any students may have. It is truly an opportunity like no other, and the benefits of becoming an ambassador are unmatchable.  

By becoming a Student Ambassador, you become a face that represents UND. Many students that are involved with Student Ambassadors are also a part of other clubs and organizations. Student Ambassadors promote and foster a healthy environment for students to succeed at the University of North Dakota. Being a Student Ambassador also means making connections with other UND staff and faculty. Throughout my time as an ambassador, I have gotten to know members of the Student Ambassador Executive Board, and other faculty in the Student Involvement and Parent Programming office. These connections will provide Student Ambassadors with more opportunities, as well as create connections and a familiar face on campus. 

Student Involvement is actively searching for more Student Ambassadors. It is a great opportunity for all students. To apply, contact Michael Wozniak at the Student Involvement and Parent Programs office. If you are interested in applying, email Mike at [email protected]. By becoming a Student Ambassador, you can get more involved, strengthen leadership skills, and are provided with the opportunity and skills to serve the student body, as well as the community.  

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].