UND Hosted the Annual Time Out Wacipi Pow-wow Last Month at the Hyslop

Maeve Hushman

Processed with VSCO with m5 preset

Maeve Hushman, Sports Reporter

On Friday and Saturday, April 21 and 22, the Hyslop Sports Center played host to the Time Out Wacipi Pow-wow. The term Wacipi is Lakota/Dakota for a celebration of life and in Anishinabe, Chippewa or Ojibwa, it is called Ni-mi-win. The gathering is meant to be a celebratory gathering to appreciate the cultures of the local Native American communities.  

Even amongst the celebratory nature of the gathering, there was a spirit of competition, as the Wacipi included several competitions in both traditional dancing, drumming, and singing with contestants competing for cash prizes. Beyond just competitions, the Hyslop was lined with vendors selling furs, incredible works of beading, and even plush buffalos. One of the vendors was Wendy Roy, of Ojibwe Custom Beadwork. Roy has been beading since she was eight and has been featured in the Start Tribune for her work. She also has a partnership with the Minnesota Twins. Her beading is beautiful, with earrings that show brightly colored patterns, the faces and shapes of animals, and other significant iconography. They are so beautiful and intricately done, but some of her most incredible works are the large beaded pendants she makes. Some feature designs of professional sports logos that are very complex, like the Minnesota Wild logo, but it looks perfect as if it had been screen printed, even though it was crafted from beads and a loom. She chatted briefly with every customer who came up to her stall talking about her work and how she came to own her beading business. She preserves the art of beading by teaching the next generation at the tribal college, spreading her talent and knowledge to the students in her class. Her work can also be found on Instagram @custombead, and TikTok @wendyroy516, and YouTube @Wendy Roy. 

There was a food stand featuring probably the most well-known Native American dish, fry bread with a spin on it, fry bread tacos. The Rez lemonade stand was also a favorite of the attendants, with lines stretching considerably across the Hyslop to reach the lemon shaped stall and get a glass of their “tradish” lemonade. However, the true highlight when it came to food was the free dinner presented to attendants, vendors, and dancers consisted of bison stew, which was so homey and exactly what someone needed on the cold winter day, wild rice packed to the brim with flavor, a dense bread that resembled cornbread but with a distinctly different flavor, and a blueberry syrup that was made even better by dunking the dense loaf into it. After everyone’s belly was full and their purchases made, the dance competition started.  

The competition started with a large procession, which included President Andy Armacost and his wife. After a few remarks from President Armacost, the contest started. There were eight categories in the dance competition: Women’s Traditional Jingle and Fancy, Men’s Traditional, Grass, Chicken Dance, and Fancy, Golden Women, Golden Men, Teen Girls’ Traditional, Fancy, and Jingle, Teen Boys’ Traditional, Fancy, and Grass, Junior Girls’ Traditional, Jingle, and Fancy, and Junior Boys’ Traditional, Fancy, and Grass. There was also a Tiny Tots category that included children too young to compete in the Juniors or Teen category. The top three in each competition would receive a cash prize of up to $580 in the adult categories. Every dancer was amazing with intricate and flashy costumes and intricate footwork. Even bystanders with no knowledge of Ojibwe and Lakota/Dakota dancing could enjoy and appreciate the skill and artistry that went into every competitor’s performance.  

The Time Out Wacipi Pow-wow was an amazing event that is a must attend event for even those with no experience with Native American culture. If anything, it is a great way to support and learn more about the culture and art form. 

Maeve Hushman is a Dakota Student Sports Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]