Daisy Jones and the Six: A Nostalgic Return to 70’s Soft Rock

Gabrielle Bossart, Editor

A new tv show is taking the world by storm with its vintage 70’s feel and original music. “Daisy Jones and the Six” is based on the New York Times Bestselling book of the same name by author Taylor Jenkins Reid. The novel is written in a unique interview style that features members of the fictional band and those closest to them speaking about the rise and fall of the group, years after their famous split. While the novel is a work of fiction, it is loosely based around the beloved classic band, Fleetwood Mac.   

Riley Keough and Sam Claflin star as Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne, the wickedly talented and charismatic lead singers of the fictional rock band. Both Keough and Claflin are actually singing on the eleven-track album, “Aurora,” which was released on major streaming platforms. Though Keough and Claflin provide the vocals, the album was constructed by songwriter Blake Mills in collaboration with a host of notable musicians such as Phoebe Bridgers and Jackson Browne. In addition to leading its creation, Mills also produced the album.   

Neither Keough nor Claflin had professionally sung or recorded music before the show, making the resulting album that much more impressive. Keough admitted to having difficulties learning to belt, even meeting with a vocal coach to hone her skills. Nevertheless, she successfully continued her family’s musical legacy as Elvis Presley’s real-life granddaughter, and her raw talent both vocally and as an actress shine through in her performance.   

The show gives off an authentic 70’s air with an expansive wardrobe of classic favorites like high rise flare jeans, long skirts, crochet tops, and flowing kimonos. The idea behind the outfitting was to take the audience back to the glam and warm colors of the 70’s without the gimmicky costume look that is easy to slip into when styling the period. Outfits inspired by the likes of Cher and Stevie Nicks give the show a genuine, fashionable look without being too distracting. As the series continues to gain popularity, do not be surprised if fashion trends make a trip back to the 70’s this summer. Amazon has created a special page for the show, where you can choose your favorite characters and shop for their most iconic looks, although you will likely find more authentic vintage pieces hidden in the depths of thrift and consignment stores.   

The outfits are not the only thing that feels genuine about the show. The actors were also put through a sort of band camp experience, in which they had to learn how to play an instrument and or sing. One of the most magnetic and exciting things about any rock band is their stage presence, so making sure that the cast had a realistic feel for the instruments they were playing was extremely important. A crucial part of the process was learning how to jam together and interact with each other on stage, something that allowed the cast to bond behind the scenes. The end result is a fictional band that looks and sounds like they have been playing together for years.   

To give the album an extra dose of authenticity, it was recorded in the famous Sound City Studios, the same studio where Fleetwood Mac recorded “Never Going Back Again,” a song from their hit album “Rumours.” The studio also saw the likes of other legendary musicians such as Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty. The rich musical history of Sound City Studios made it the perfect place to record the fictional hit album, and the result is a solid soft rock record. The original single released by Daisy Jones and The Six, “Look At Us Now (Honeycomb)” even shreds a guitar solo that is a clear nod to Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain.” The album is a nostalgic throwback to one of the greatest musical decades and perfectly captures the complexity of the emotions flowing between its two headstrong lead singers.   

The show is available now on Amazon Prime Video and consists of ten episodes that hang generally around fifty minutes each. The first season encompasses the entirety of the book so there is unlikely to be a second, however, rumors are rampant among fans that the fictional band may come to life and play a real tour. Cast members have been teasing on social media that they are rehearsing, but no definitive explanation as to why has been released yet. “Aurora” is available for streaming on major platforms, but if you want the authentic 70’s experience, it is also available on vinyl. 

Gabrielle Bossart is a Dakota Student Section Editor. She can be reached at [email protected].