Shop small now more than ever

Brooke Kruger, Opinion Writer

Keeping the doors open is the biggest challenge facing small businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic. Yelp’s Economic Impact Report stated that 60 percent of the businesses that had closed by September 2020, won’t be reopening. With the virus spiking to record levels, low-income consumers are repressing their spending habits. Small businesses thrive off of consumer spending and the remaining businesses are going to take a hit during the next few months as government mandates threaten to eliminate them.  

In the second half of March, the government proposed that all non-essential businesses close, sending many families and individuals into financial crises as this was their main source of income. 

CNBC states that some of the most popular corporations for Christmas shopping over the years has consistently been Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart. In 2017, Amazon dominated the market and profited $60.5 billion in the months of October, November, and December alone. These rates are increasing every year.  

Both low- and higher-income earners are giving money to billion-dollar corporations annually to fulfill loved oneChristmas wishes. Small businesses are dying out as they compete with rich multibilliondollar companies during the holiday seasons. Now more than ever, family or individual owned companies are needing the contributions of consumers to stay afloat.  

According to the American Independent Business Alliance (AIBA), when consumers shop local, approximately 48 percent of the purchase cost is recirculated back into the local economy. When consumers purchase from chain stores, that number drops to only 14 percent. Consumers can support their local economy as the Coronavirus puts entire communities at risk for failure. Aside from supporting the local economy, supporting small establishments offers more personalized service, unique products, and supports creativity. Shopping local can create jobs for friends and neighbors, as businesses will slowly develop the need for more service during the holiday season.  

The holiday season can be a stressful time for many families as giftgiving is one of the most common household traditions on Christmas morning. With the incredible number of unemployed individuals all around the globe, Christmas may be looking different for many families. Giving small businesses the opportunity to keep their doors open this yearly quarter may be the lifeline that these establishments are searching for from their consumers. Every local purchase from a friend or community member is an effort made to keep communities and families thriving in a time of need.  

Local and small businesses can promote themselves through online websites, distributed press releases, videos, and social media engagement. This Christmas season, consumers must seriously consider supporting real people that currently need their help, rather than giving their money to some of the most profitable companies in the world that never have to worry about their doors being permanently closed.  

Brooke Kruger is a Dakota Student Opinion Writer. She can be reached at [email protected]