Rebels Roast

Coffee with a cause

Rebels+Roast

Brianna Mayhair, News Editor

Love coffee and want to support a good cause? Check out Rebels Roast! Founded by current student at the University of North Dakota (UND), Sean Dolan, Rebels Roast donates 20 percent of their profits to support homeless LGBTQ+ Youth. Rebels Roast wants to provide counseling, shelter or a bed in a safe place for individuals who need help. Dolan explains what the motivation was to start Rebels Roast through an email interview.  

“Well, I was researching e-commerce companies or wholly online companies for Dr. Sandi Luck of the marketing department.” Dolan said. “We’ve been working together for years now at her coffee company here in Grand Forks, Bully Brew Coffee. This is in the beginning of the pandemic and lots of businesses were focusing on e-commerce alternatives. So, I began cultivating an online audience on Instagram as a means of building a community. In a way, I wanted to create the atmosphere that welcomed LGBTQ+ individuals like that of a coffee shop as these places often felt like a safe space for me and my friends growing up. 

Dolan is majoring in Marketing with a minor in Sales and is planning on graduating in December 2020.  Dolan explains how it feels to have a business as a current college student.  

“Well, an online business is much less intimidating than that of the classic brick-and-mortar operation.” Dolan said. I would say it’s been really incredible, As I’ve really seen a lot of support and love from the community that means so much to me. If you really care about something and you want to make a difference in the world, it’s easier than ever to start a business or even a nonprofit. 

Rebels Roast sells fresh, whole bean coffee that is directly shipped to your door for free within one to three days.  Rebels Roast has three single-origin and three curated blends that are tested to maintain the best quality standards.  The blends are unique and can’t be found anywhere else. They also have a subscription called One Love Club where you can get a weekly, biweekly or monthly bag 12-ounce bag of coffee of your choice of roast. The first bag is free, and the subscription can be changed or canceled anytime. Dolan explains the reason behind the cause of the coffee they sell. 

“This is because I myself planned on being homeless in high school as so many of us are not sure how are parents will react to us coming out.” Dolan said. “I planned on living my car in a Walmart parking lot, but thankfully my parents supported me. Having a home and being comfortable with your identity are human rights, something many aren’t privileged to access.” 

If you are interested in supporting a cause while getting your coffee fix, check RebelsRoast out at www.rebelsroastcoffee.com where their products and story can be found. Rebels Roast also can be found on Facebook and Instagram at Rebels Roast Coffee.  

Brianna Mayhair is a Dakota Student News Editor. She can be reached at [email protected]