The Infamous return of the girl scout cookies

Back to Article
Back to Article

Madison Feltman, News Editor

The most wonderful time of the year is upon us once again, as Girl Scout Cookie season is officially underway. Between the months of January and April the largest girl-led entrepreneurial program in the world takes place all thanks to the Girl Scout Cookie Program.

The mission of the program is not only to provide the community with mouth-watering cookies, but to also help girls in the program learn five specific skills that are essential to leadership. These include goal setting which helps girls define a goal and create a plan, decision making which helps girls make their own decisions, money management which helps the girls create a budget and properly handle money, people skills which help girls find their voice and business ethics which helps girls act honestly and responsibly.

This year Girl Scouts will be selling their cookies for $4 to 6 a box with 100 percent of the proceeds staying within the local Girl Scout council and troops. Proceeds this year are estimated at a $800 million.

“When you make a Girl Scout Cookie purchase, you’re helping the next generation of girl entrepreneurs get an important taste of what it takes to be successful–teamwork, planning and a positive outlook,” Girls Scouts says.

This year’s cookie line-up is filled with fan-favorites such as Thin Mints, Samoas and Tag-A-Longs. Yet many of the cookies are only exclusive to a certain region of the United States. Certain cookie names are also only exclusive to certain regions. For example, the very popular caramel-coconutty treat that is considered as Samoas here in North Dakota, is considered Caramel DeLites in states such as Texas, Alabama and Indiana. This is all attributed to fact that Girl Scout Cookies are produced by two different bakers, ABC Bakers and Little Brownie Bakers. Both producers exclusively handle Girl Scout Cookies.

ABC Bakers in Richmond, Virginia produces a wider range of cookies and is the primary baker of the classic Thanks-A-Lot, Lemonades, Girl Scout S’mores and Caramel Chocolate Chip cookies. Whereas, Little Brownie Bakers in Louisville, Kentucky has a smaller range of cookies including all of the fan-favorites but they provide cookies for a wider-range of states.

If you are wondering where you’ll be able to snag a box of the delicious delicacies, keep your eyes out for a local Girl Scout’s cookie booth or if you find yourself needing the cookies in a hurry download the Girl Scout Cookie Finder App on your mobile device.

• The Infamous return of the girl scout cookies

Madison Feltman

A year of controversy

Grand forks

Joe Black’s: A Cinderella Story

Grand forks

Greater Grand Forks Prepares for Flooding

Re-establishing Former UND Program

Madison Feltman

Pranksters Put on a Show

Madison Feltman

Goodbye Sweethearts

• Madison Feltman

Dissecting the Dean search

#dakotastudent

Government Stalement

Higher Education Board Changes

A new partnership takes off