Two Different Views on Valentines Day

The Pro’s

Se Kwon, Opinion Writer

Valentine’s Day, also known as the day some people get spoiled with chocolates, flowers and cute Valentine’s Day cards. I am aware that not everyone gets to receive chocolates and cute gifts, but I think Valentine’s Day is actually a fabulous concept. When I think of Valentine’s Day, I automatically think of spending time with a significant other and in my case, that significant other will be my bed. On a serious note though, Valentine’s Day is a really special day to have fun cherishing each and every moment with your significant other. For me, it’s not just about the chocolates and sweets, it’s not just about the festive pink and red colors, and it’s not about the cards that they write. I will probably be laying on my bed, scrolling through Twitter and laughing hysterically at the Valentine’s Day card memes that pop up on my feed. One Valentine’s Day card meme had a picture of famous actor Leonardo DiCaprio and the pick up line reads, “You Leonardo DiCaptured my heart.” I live for Valentine’s Day card memes like these, some find it super annoying but I find them so funny.

Valentine’s Day is good in so many ways- even if you are single! It’s a day to celebrate love and spend the day with the people you love, even if it just means friends or family. If you are in a committed relationship or you do have a significant other, it’s fun that way too. On this special day, the act of giving comes into play, too. Not only will you be giving, you will also be receiving. I love the thought of giving gifts to people, especially ones with meaning. I’m a huge sucker for reactions and putting smiles on faces so even just the thought of preparing gifts and giving them to someone makes me smile- it’s one of the greatest feelings in the world to me. The day after Valentine’s Day is also great because candy and sweets are marked down to low prices. This is obviously a smart marketing strategy because everyone rushes to the store to buy sweets for their significant other or whomever they may be spending their special day with, but not many people will be going to the store after Valentine’s Day for more sweets, so make sure you take advantage of the sales they will be having.

For those of you who are spending Valentine’s Day alone, remember that you are not actually alone. Valentine’s Day is a perfect opportunity to surround yourself with the people you love, whether that means your family, friends, roommates, etc. This Valentine’s Day, try something different. Give a little, tell the people you love how much they mean to you and don’t forget to treat yourself. If you are not alone this Valentine’s Day then make sure you realize how important it is to put in effort for your significant other. They will notice and appreciate when you put in the effort to satisfy the other person.

• Two Different Views on Valentines Day

Opinion

The Excitement for Spring Fever

• Grand forks

Pick Up After Yourself

• Two Different Views on Valentines Day

Opinion

Practicing Gratitude

• Two Different Views on Valentines Day

Mason Dunleavy

The Gender Pay Gap

• Opinion

Nothing is impossible

• Opinion

Letter to the Editor

• Two Different Views on Valentines Day

Allyson Bento

If chivalry is dead… it is because we killed it

• Two Different Views on Valentines Day

The Problem with Happiness

• Two Different Views on Valentines Day

Mason Dunleavy

Don’t make college free

• Opinion

It is time to find your spark

Two Different Views on Valentines Day