Socialism, a culture of mediocrity breeds failure

Liz Kacher, Staff Writer

During a speech he gave in the House of Commons back in 1945, Winston Churchill provided his insight about the failing system of socialism. He stated, “the inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.”

The growing popularity of socialism throughout a variety of countries around the world made me fearful of the democrats’ choice of presidential nominee during the primary election. However, I have recently noticed the growing consideration of writing in Bernie Sanders for President.

The consideration of writing in Bernie Sanders amongst democrats disappointed in Hillary Clinton inspired me to argue the reasons why the socialism that he promotes would be devastating to our country.

Even though I study sociology and completely support the need for social change, socialism is a terrifying concept to me. I realize the millennial generation was favorable to ‘feel the Bern,’ however I fail to support any of the policies he believed in.

The outcome of the general election between Trump and Clinton scares me, but I’m even more fearful that writing in Bernie Sanders becomes a movement amongst our generation.

I believe that a potential President Sanders is far worse than the two nominees the major parties have chosen.

Through the election season, I’ve remained distrustful and disappointed with the deceitful Clinton. But I must say, I am grateful that she got the nomination of her party over the socialist Senator Sanders.

It’s vital that my generation, as well as the American people, see that socialism would be a drastic failure for us as a country.

I can understand the need for social change that Sanders’ promoted, but losing the incentive of working hard and kills the growth of the economy.

Greg Gutfeld, a cohost of The Five on Fox News, provided his insight on Sanders’ socialist agenda and the problems it could cause for the American people. He considers Sanders’ support of socialism a “cruel doctrine.”

“It kills growth because it crushes opportunity. Sure, Sanders seems like a really nice guy. But a vote for him isn’t a vote for a kind man, but a cruel doctrine that sticks to the planet’s shoe like toilet paper from the world’s worst restroom,” Gutfeld reported.

I consider the nights when I have stayed up all night to study and earn my diploma when I think about my personal economic future.

As college students, we’ve earned the right to be offered opportunities unavailable to those who haven’t gone to college.

I am a student who has used financial aid to pay for college that will likely take me a long time to pay back. I realize that many students face that problem. However I’ve worked hard to reach the finish line with my undergraduate degree, so why should my hard work diminish the opportunity I believe I’ve rightfully earned?

Student loans and tuition are some of the most important issues to us as college students compared to the generations older than us. Sanders’ socialist agenda appealed to a growing number of students because he said what he knew to gain our support.

Socialism is defined by dictionary.com as, “a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole. It calls for the funneling of money by the wealthy to have a constant source of revenue and contribute to a form of utopianism.

Robert Knight from townhall.com reported about the intentions of democratic socialists.

“They can preserve human liberties while forcing everyone into communal economic arrangements.  The key is to have ‘the people’ collectively make all important economic decisions,” Knight said.

I find the transition from private to public ownership incredibly troubling, and I consider it the destruction of individual ambition and opportunity. I can’t help but see that it’s the destruction of the American dream.

Friedrich Hayek once said, “A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers.”

I’m favorable to a society based on capitalism, combined with small government.

John Hawkins from townhall.com reports, “A government in a capitalist economy can quite easily give everyone equality of opportunity with a few basic laws and regulations, but socialism strives to create equality of results.” What is equal isn’t always just, and what’s just isn’t always equal.”

Although I consider socialist policies much worse than Clinton’s, I still consider her taxation and economic policies disastrous to our economy. It frightens me to think of her past history as a senator and secretary of state during her campaign for President.

I passionately hope that the American people reconsider her position on the important issues, as she will contribute to the destruction of the American dream just Sanders’ socialist agenda as well as the incentive to work.

Liz Kacher is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]