UND is fortunate to be a low cost university

The average tuition with room and board costs for the 2015-2016 academic year is $15,488 at UND. Photo courtesy of UND.edu

The average college cost for a university student is over $29,000 a year. UND has been lucky enough to have had a low tuition cost for a long time. With the recent budget cuts, however, it seems our luck might be running out.

Most students can’t afford the cost of school on their own, and rely on financial aid from the FAFSA. However, Gov. Jack Dalrymple’s four percent budget cut might just end up further limiting the state’s educational resources. Graduate students I’ve talked to from various department are concerned that financial waivers, aid and assistantships could be reduced or cut.

Some might be wondering what this has to do with them or UND. Well, the cost of tuition at a public four-year college or university has gone up 200 percent since the 1970’s after inflation. Those who rely on low-cost state colleges, or those seeking to have less debt in their pockets after graduating might need to start looking elsewhere. The projected budget cuts have placed heavy burdens on departments who help serve students in work-study or those work outside of school to help pay for class.

Students are left with a greater peace of mind when tuition costs stay low. Once the expectation becomes that students must take out excessive loans to get a decent paying job so they can repay for their education, loan investors will have succeeded in preventing us from living well. Competition among college students for scholarships and financial help is fierce, and those who rely on waivers as well as assistantships, as I do, know what little more we can squeeze from our current financial budget. to help pay the cost of living, I work several jobs. The very thought of having a budget crisis no longer allows for some of these services to stay hinders us all and creates a wake of uncertainty.

Several students have told me how much it means to get these waivers, and what could happen if they all end up disappearing. An undergrad senior who goes to another university told me waivers were her the only forms of financial aid she qualifies for. When she heard that her waivers might be cut for certain next year, they were.

Her options are now limited to taking out an excessive amount of loans, or leaving for another university. While the effects of the budget crisis occur, I think it’s best we consider the community at UND that have been receiving tuition waivers and teaching assistantships.

Amina Chinnell-Mateen is a staff writer for The Dakota Student.  She can be reached at [email protected]