Presidential search firm holds feedback session

Last Thursday, consultants from the AGB Search, the firm hired by UND to assist with the Search for a new university president, held a listening session at the UND Memorial Union to discuss the presidential search process.

An email sent out by Hesham El-Rewini and Grant Shaft, UND Presidential Search Committee Co-chairs, said, “AGB Search’s role is not to select our next President; rather, they will help ensure that the search and selection process is managed effectively, that we have a diverse and rich pool of applicants, and that we achieve our goal of securing the best possible leader for the University of North Dakota.”

AGB search is a consulting firm that focuses on helping institutions of higher education fill leadership positions. According to a report by WDAZ, UND is spending close to $87,000 for the services provided by AGB Search.

James McCormick and Janice Fitzgerald, the AGB employees present at the listening session, have held a variety of positions throughout the higher education field. AGB itself has assisted over 200 searches at 150 different institutions.

At the meeting, attendees expressed a desire for the incoming president to be more transparent in communication with the student body. Additionally, concerns were expressed that the meeting, attendees expressed a desire for the incoming president to be more transparent while communication with the student body. Additionally, concerns were expressed that the next university president should make an effort to have a more visible presence on campus and increase interaction with students.

Faculty and staff also expressed the necessity of the incoming president to be able to effectively deal with the media and other public relations issues, as well as having an open mind to the needs of faulty and students.. Whoever is selected to be president will be in for a busy start as the University continues to navigate a contentious nickname selection process.

With the only law and medical schools in the North Dakota, UND is certainly a unique University in the state, and whoever is selected to be president will be need to be able to effectively manage the growing institution. 

AGB is currently gathering input from students, faculty, and staff as it selects applicants to present to UND. After developing a broad candidate pool, AGB will narrow down the selections based on their suitability to the university, and then submit those applicants to UND.

UND’s Presidential Search Committee is scheduled to convene on Oct. 21, where AGB Search will present their findings to the committee. The 12 person committee is composed of UND faculty, staff, students, and members of the State Board of Higher Education.

NDUS Chancellor Mark Hagerott and former Chancellor Larry Skogen are serving as non-voting advisors to the committee. Student Body President Matt Kopp is serving as the undergraduate representative on the committee, while Samantha Perrin is representing graduate students.

AGB search will be conducting additional listening sessions before it presents it findings to the Presidential Search Committee in October.

Staff Report