Seasonal employment hurts students

Let the countdown begin: ONE month until the end of Fall 2014 semester… let that soak in for a moment until you start to do a happy dance. What are most students looking forward to doing over the winter break?

The most common answers are probably enjoy extra sleep or party harder, but some students may be dusting off that resume and adding job search to the list.  Seasonal employment is another way for students to spend break time.  It keeps us from becoming couch potatoes, sleeping all day, and partying all night.  Most importantly, it is an opportunity to add some cash to the bank account.

There is just one major problem that arises with seasonal employment: the definition of “season.”  For us, the students, we would define the “season” as starting the millisecond after that last final.  Yet, employers consider the “season” starting as soon as next week – the week of Thanksgiving break and Black Friday.  It is understandable why stores like Target need to arm themselves with excess employees and prepare for retail battle on Black Friday, but typically we students want nothing to do with working this early in the winter.

I currently am taking a lot of credits. I love writing for the paper because it offers flexibility and I am able to write the articles between homework deadlines.  I also enjoy the ability to write about my many opinions and hope someone somewhere will find them interesting and entertaining.  If I were to work at a regular employer, like Lowe’s, Wal-Mart, or Macy’s they would more than likely have little to no regard for my credit load and not care if I have the unfortunate occurrence of 2 papers, 2 long labs, and 3 tests pile up in one week.  I would have to find someone to cover a shift or go in to work and forfeit precious study time or lose the job altogether.

A good alternative to a part-time job is to work as a seasonal employee.  Seasonal jobs pay fairly well and have little chance of jeopardizing your school performance.  Many big name stores such as Cabela’s, Target, Scheels, and Best Buy are hiring people to work for the upcoming holidays.  The only issue is that they want us to start immediately…

Obviously, the problem with starting a seasonal job in mid-November is that the end of November starts the busiest part of the semester for most students.  We have to prepare for finals, sum up projects and research, write lengthy reports, and prepare to go home (if that applies).  How do these employers expect us put forth our best school and work performance when they schedule us to work 3 to 4 nights a week and 8 hour shifts on the weekends leading up to the end of the semester?

I recently went to an interview for seasonal employment position to hold me over with income for winter break.  The interviewer asked me my available start date, at which I replied, Monday, December 22.  That gives me enough time to finish my last final, fly home to see family for a weekend, and then come back ready to work.  The interviewer gave an apparent displeased reaction to that date and stated the store was looking for immediately available employees, preferably college students like me, who are willing to work nights and weekends.  I had to hold my tongue to stop my sarcastic reply of “good luck.”

If you are looking for a seasonal job this winter, I hope you are able to find an understanding employer that offers a balance between work and school for these last few weeks of the semester.

Maggie Upton is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].