Wiz Khalifa to perform at Alerus Center

Wiz Khalifa. Photo courtesy of Nathan Wind (flickr).

After a semester of working hard, UND students will get a chance to play hard at the annual Spring Jam concert held at the Alerus Center, May 3 at 8 p.m., featuring Wiz Khalifa.

University Program Council announced the headliner April 9, and tickets were made available to students last week at the UND Student Government office located in the Memorial Union. Tickets are free for UND students and $30 for the public.

UPC music coordinator Jordan Cespedes said that when planning the concert, UPC intended to pick a different artist, but because things were planned a little too late, it did not work out.  The original finalists for Spring Jam were B.o.B, Flo Rida, Fall Out Boy, The All American Rejects and Hot Chelle Rae.

“Last year we brought in country, so I thought hip-hop would be nice this year,” Cespedes said.

Students packed the Memorial Union last week to grab tickets to the event, and by the end of the week, floor tickets were sold out.

Cespedes said she thought most people were looking forward to the chosen artist.

“I am excited,” UND student Lindsay Young said. “I wanted B.o.B. out of the five, but I like (Khalifa’s) music. It is upbeat and enjoyable.”

Khalifa, who was born in Minot, N.D., is a popular rapper and is known for his songs “Black and Yellow,” “Young, Wild, and Free” with Snoop Dogg, “Work Hard, Play Hard” and “No Sleep.”  Khalifa has worked with many artists including Miley Cyrus, Adele and Juicy J.

Despite the big-name artist on his way to Grand Forks, not everyone was happy about the decision.

“I’m very disappointed,” UND student Amy Halvorson said. “I was really hoping we would get someone more neutrally popular, someone basically everyone can enjoy. And I feel like Wiz has a very specific audience.”

Cespedes said she has not heard any concerns about Khalifa from students but, either way, UPC is ready for the concert.

Ashley Marquis is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].