Students take longer to graduate than expected

Photo courtesy of the Huffington Post.

I’ve known since I started college that I’d be here at least five years. Now, it’ll be six.

This has been a point of shame for me because my graduation date seemed to somehow measure my worthiness as a student.

By not being able to get done in four years, I felt I was doing something wrong. It didn’t matter that my GPA was good or that the classes I’ve taken make me an attractive candidate for graduate schools. In my eyes, I was taking too long.

When I first set out to write this, I was going to discuss how, even though we’re few, those of us who are graduating late are no better or worse than those who will finish “on time.”  I didn’t expect to find out I was wrong in my argument.

I was assuming the norm is a four year degree. It’s not. According to TIME magazine, a four year bachelor’s degree only happens for less than 40 percent of entering freshmen. Sixty percent will take six years. Suddenly, I didn’t feel so bad.

When I started school, I dreamed of going pre-med and studying abroad. Neither worked out, but they were the reasons I was going to be here at least five years. I’ve always had plans to go beyond my bachelor’s degree, though now it’s to a graduate program rather than a medical school. I just assumed more of the years would be spent in post-bachelor work rather than getting through undergraduate.

I could go on about why it takes more years to get a “four” year degree. We have more expected obligations than in the past. Tuition costs have risen as well. Extracurriculars need to be on our resumes and CVs in order to make us attractive candidates. Life sometimes gets in the way of school. Courses are offered on a rotating basis that can complicate scheduling.

With all the reasons and excuses, the fact remains that most of us will be here for six years. Whether or not the extended time is ideal isn’t relevant.

Then why is there such a stigma? Every time someone introduces themselves as a “super senior” or a “super duper senior,” there is a tinge of shame in their voice. It’s as if they are apologizing for being here too long.

I know I always play it off with humor when I confess that I’ll be here at least six years. “Well, I just like the winters here so much, I thought I’d stay an extra few years!”

This isn’t dislike for UND. I’d feel the same frustration at any school. I truly love learning and rarely dislike a class. And I still respect the need and use for the classes I dislike. I can’t avoid the feeling of being stuck though.

It boils down to this is the longest we’ll have spent in school. High school took four years, middle school took three, elementary school took five and kindergarten one. Six years is new to all of us. We’re used to moving on in less time.

University life as an undergraduate is designed to be temporary. Residence halls are not where you want to spend the rest of your life. The system is designed to be a stepping stone onto bigger things, whether that’s a job or more schooling.

In the end, the goal — and the result — is the same: graduation. Frankly, that’s a worthy enough goal for a couple of extra years.

Kjerstine Trooien is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].