Owning pets in college a big task

College is a time where many indulge in foods, drinks or activities they may have not been able to living at home or in high school. One of these is often the purchasing of pets, from a goldfish to a hedgehog to a pile of puppies. Pets are wonderful companions to have in life with their special ability to lower blood pressure from a stressful day and cute company to put smiles on our faces.

To say that college students shouldn’t have pets would make me a hypocrite. Having two pets at home, I knew I needed one here, not only because I’m animal-obsessed but also because of the therapeutic quality they provide. I researched for months before adopting my four rascally rats.

Unfortunately, this is not the case with many new pet owners. Seeing irresistible little faces behind windows often result in somewhat impulse-buys of pets. Quickly buying leashes, litter, bowls and toys all in one stop to bring back with their new friend seems exciting, but what’s often forgotten are the unseen costs of vet bills, food, grooming, daycares, cleaning and most of all, time and care.

Time, attention and patience are needed just as much as food, shelter and toys, especially if the pet is young and needs training. Many students don’t have time, with class taking up most of their days, alongside homework and paid work. Animals need stability which comes from the bond between pet and owner. It provides confidence and security for the animal, which leads to better behavior.

Sadly, I’ve seen the downside of students not properly committing to their new companions. Many are neglected, or end up being posted on Craigslist in need of being re-homed or given to their parents or the Humane Society. This doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be re-homed or even placed in better care. The reality of pets unable to find proper homes is grim. As much good as the Humane Society does, it is sadly not a no-kill shelter.

It’s frustrating seeing peers purchase pets, feeling the initial excitement and slowly seeing them become careless and annoyed after being burdened with necessary care of cleaning cages, tanks, litter boxes, training and walks. Time is of the essence for all of us, and, unfortunately, sometimes that time isn’t saved for pets.

Dogs and cats are probably the highest costing as far as in-home pets, with higher vet bills and higher initial costs. They demand more time and energy — even though they are seen as rewarding with cuddles and love in return. However, one of my rats is quite the cuddler.

This isn’t to say that small mammals, reptiles and fish don’t require time and care as well. Cages and tanks need to be regularly cleaned in order to keep a healthy pet. Research is just as required for these pets as it is for larger pets. Becoming as knowledgeable as possible is best before adopting. Knowing proper diets, enclosures, average costs, behaviors and training will only help build a healthy bond and assure a healthy pet.

If you or someone you know is thinking of getting a pet, take the time to think it over and become fully informed about the pet ahead of time. Make sure you have the time, patience and the finances for optimum care.

Steph Gartner is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].