Spirit week kicks off

Campus celebrates alumni philanthropy efforts

UND alumni stand outside the Memorial Union in the freezing weather to serve free hot chocolate to passing students in celebration of philanthropy for Spirit Week. Photo by Shae Bonifacio/The Dakota Student.

Students, faculty, staff and alumni are fired up with UND spirit while cold weather persists on campus during Spirit week.

Spirit Week is a way for UND to celebrate the philanthropists that have made the university what it is today, according to organizers.

“Spirit Week this year is transitioning from celebrating the Spirit Campaign to celebrating philanthropy at UND,” CEO of  the UND Alumni Association and Foundation DeAnna Carlson Zink said. “What would UND look like without philanthropy? There would be no Chester Fritz Library, no John D. Odegard School of Aerospace, no Ralph Engelstad Arena, no Gorecki Alumni Center and no scholarships. Spirit Week is a time to celebrate those who’ve helped make UND great.”

Spirit Week started off Monday with Spirit Day which was celebrated by wearing UND apparel.

Tuesday morning, Mug Up to Philanthropy was held outside the Chester Fritz Library, where students could warm up in below-zero temperatures with a cup of hot cocoa while playing games and winning prizes and meeting some of the UND celebrities, such as Cassie Gerhard, Lori Reesor, DeAnna Carlson Zink, Dan Muss and Doug Munski.

Wednesday, the State of the Foundation address was  given by Carlson Zink at 7 a.m.  The address focussed on the fundraising efforts by the foundation.

Thursday was National Student Engagement and Philanthropy Day and UND Founders Day. The celebration started with Speak Up to Philanthropy, which gave UND students the chance to write a thank you card to a UND donor. The Founders Day  banquet was held for the UND community to honor employees who have served UND at least 25 years, employees who are retiring and award recipients.

“It is an honor to speak at this banquet and to share an opportunity to thank our outstanding faculty and recognize their excellence,” Carlson Zink said of speaking at the Founders Day banquet. “We don’t take enough time to recognize the important role individuals and departments play in molding and inspiring students who will shape the future of the world we live in.”

Today, the celebration ends with Pay it Forward Friday, where UND students can stop by the Memorial Union to show their spirit and get candy.

“Spirit Week helps remind us why private gifts are so important to UND. These gifts become differentiating factors and helps fund new buildings, many scholarships and new faculty,” Carlson Zink said.

Ashley Marquis is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].