Olympic alumni go for the gold

UND athletes gain international attention

As the close of the 2014 Winter Olympics draws near, former and current UND students are still making a difference for their teams.

The university is represented in Sochi, Russia by nine ice hockey athletes and three staff members.

Team USA men’s hockey team features two former UND players – T.J. Oshie (2005-2008) and Zach Parise (2002-2004). Parise stood out from the beginning of the games after being chosen as team captain, but Oshie became a star as well after his shootout goals helped the team in an exciting 3-2 victory over Team Russia, with President Putin in attendance.

According to the official 2014 Sochi Olympics website, Oshie has made one goal and three assists in the four games Team USA has played so far. Parise also contributed with one goal in the playoffs quarterfinals 5-2 win against the Czech Republic. The athletes’ hard work has helped Team USA maintain an undefeated record in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi so far.

Another former UND hockey player, Jonathan Toews (2005-2007), is playing for Team Canada. Just like the USA, Canada has not yet lost a game in this Olympics. Toews had one assist in the team’s win over Austria and one assist in the playoffs quarterfinals game against Latvia, which Canada won 2-1.

Brad Pascall, who played hockey for UND from 1988 – 1992, is also serving on Team Canada as the vice president of hockey operations.

Team USA and Team Canada men’s hockey teams both won their playoff quarterfinal games Wednesday, which means they will go head-to-head Friday for the playoff semifinals. The winner of that game will compete for the gold medal on Sunday.

Women’s hockey in Sochi features six UND athletes, including three current students and three alumni. Sisters Jocelyn and Monique Lamoureux are playing on Team USA and have been high scorers.

Monique Lamoureux scored three goals throughout the four games the team has played so far, including one in the playoff quarterfinals victory over Sweden. Jocelyn Lamoureux has been the team’s helping hand with four assists throughout the games, including one assist to her sister’s goal in the playoff game.

Current UND women’s hockey players Susanna Tapani and Michelle Karvinen are on Team Finland. Karvinen, who is the captain for the UND team, is the leading scorer for the tournament as of Wednesday, with 5 goals. Current UND graduate student and women’s hockey video coach Max Markowitz is also on Team Finland as the video coach.

Former UND women’s hockey player Susanne Fellner and current player Tanja Eisenschmid are both on Team Germany.

While all the athletes are representing UND in the sport of ice hockey, alumnus Jason Switzer is serving as slopestyle snowboarding athletic trainer for Team USA. Switzer’s role on the team contributed to the success of Team USA athletes Jamie Anderson, who earned the gold medal in ladies’ slopestyle snowboarding, and Sage Kotsenburg, who took the gold in the men’s category.

UND can be especially proud of its students and alumni in this year’s Olympic games because Team USA features five UND alumni, more than any other single Olympics in the past. With 12 athletes and staff in Sochi, the university also has more students and alumni serving and competing on the teams than the total number of athletes represented for 53 out of the 88 countries participating in the Olympics.

“I think this has been really positive for the university,” said Ross LaDue, assistant director of media relations for UND athletics.

“When I was watching the Finland vs. USA women’s hockey game, we had four players represented,” he said. “The broadcasters kept mentioning UND and how we had players on both teams going against each other. They talked about our coaching staff and gave credit to UND more than any other university.”

Emmy Erbes is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].