DS View: Expectations

Let go of preconceived ideas until you test them.

Though Robert Kelley has served as the President of UND since 2008 when I started my freshman year of high school in Grand Forks, I never met him until last week.

I’d heard his name, of course — usually in relation to something about UND sports — but, throughout high school, I never had an opportunity to think of him as anything other than that abstract city figure my parents occasionally talked about with friends who worked at the university.

It occurred to me that I had never even seen him in person. It wasn’t too strange when I was in high school, but since I’ve been a student here, it’d felt odd that I didn’t know who the guy in charge of my education was — especially since I’d been writing about him in The Dakota Student since enrolling at UND.

Earlier this month, I was pleased to see Kelley on the program to speak at the Greek Awards, which I was attending. Finally, I’d have some proof that this man actually existed. But when it was Kelley’s turn to take the stage, someone jumped up and informed the crowd he was ill and wouldn’t be there to speak. Bummer.

Fortunately, a chance opportunity to meet the President presented itself a few days later, and I found myself shaking hands with Robert Kelley at last.

I realized, as I scanned his office and noted his friendly, down-to-Earth attitude, that I didn’t know what I was expecting our President to be like. I think if anything, I thought he might hold himself to some higher, unidentified standard and come across as stuffy, disinterested or “better-than-thou.”

But he didn’t — not a bit.

In fact, I’d say he ranks way higher than most adults I know as far as being comfortable, interesting and “real.”

In a minute, our conversation went from retelling stories of times we’ve each embarrassed ourselves in front of celebrities into a discussion on why toads are one of the coolest animals on the planet. That might not seem particularly remarkable, but, seriously, how many established adults do you know who get excited about talking with a young person about watching toad gametes swim around in a petri dish — while also not being a complete loon?

It was refreshing to see that Kelley not only has interesting and creative thoughts but also the willingness to share them with whoever happens to get shoved into his office on a Friday morning.

It was only a brief meeting, and I don’t presume to know very much about the man. But if a certain amount of respect to our President is demanded of me as a student, I can forget it, because, as I was leaving, I decided that President Kelley’s being interesting had nothing to do with his being President.

I would have enjoyed our chat no matter who he was or what job title he held.

Will Beaton is the editor-in-chief for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].