BLOG: My first chem study group

I don’t study. Nope. Not me.

In high school, I “studied.” I studied by doing homework, being awake in class, and going over notes before the exam. I wung (yes, I know it’s not a word – but it works) it for most of high school and I was proud of it…but now I’m disappointed.

I lack the proper study skills, which when added to my poor test-taking skills, equals not-so-good test grades.

I know what I have to do to perform better: STUDY!!! I just don’t how.

There is currently a Chemistry study/homework group–that I put together a few weeks ago–doing the homework and studying for our test next Monday. What am I doing? Blogging. I’m avoiding studying because I just don’t know how to do it.

Anyway, having this group excites me. I have people who I see three times a week, just outside of my bedroom door, learning and laughing with each other. I’ve, or we’ve, built this small, little fun group that can grow to 10 and fall to three, but the mission doesn’t. We meet to do chemistry homework and we enjoy it.

High school me would’ve  liked this, if she were into studying and learning outside of the classroom.

The transition from high school to college hasn’t been easy and I’m not sure how to cope with it. How can I go back and relearn (or learn for the first time) expected high school material AND then learn the new college material? How do I retain 12 sections of one chapter in three days and spit that out onto a test?

But in the midst of all my problems, my first study group is my first real attempt at doing better at higher learning. I saw an issue and attempted to create a solution. While I may have drifted off to the couch to be away from the studying (how many times will I say this word? My brain might be trying to tell me something….I need a thesaurus), my friends haven’t.

Someone’s benefitting from this awesome experience…