Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Hawks Lose to Rival

Garrett Webber

The UND men’s basketball team was unable to complete the season sweep of in-state rival NDSU, losing in Fargo with a score of 73-68.  

The game was low scoring to start, with the Bison holding an 8-5 lead after five minutes of play. The Hawks were able to hang around and eventually took the lead at 23-21 with an Amar Kuljuhovic (Jr.) three-pointer.   

UND’s other big man, Tsotne Tsartsidze (5th), kept things rolling with two trey balls of his own to help the Hawks stay in the game. Thanks to a Tyree Ihenacho (Sr.) layup with only seconds left, the score was knotted at 33 a piece going into the break.  

BJ Omot (So.) came out on fire to start the second half, getting two quick buckets to put the Hawks out in front. After yet another three from Tsartsidze, it looked like UND was going to pull away from their rival.  

NDSU kept within striking distance however, thanks to Andrew Morgan, who led the game in scoring with 27 points.  

The Hawks looked poised to pull away again after Treysen Eaglestaff hit from three with under eight minutes to play, which put UND up by seven. NDSU responded with an eight-point run and took control of the game.  

The Bison hit a three with a few minutes left to take the lead once again, and they would not relinquish it.   

The Hawks trailed by three with a minute to play and needed a stop. Morgan stepped up once again to put the game on ice.  

UND lost to NDSU with a score of 73- 68. 

With the loss, UND fell to second place in the Summit League.  

Omot led the Hawks in scoring with 22 points. Omot grabbed seven rebounds and blocked two shots, as well.  

Kuljuhovic notched another double-double, scoring 13 points and snatching 11 boards with five of them coming on the offensive end.  

Eaglestaff was the only other Hawk who scored in double figures with 11 points.  

Ihenacho struggled from the field against the Bison, shooting 3/12 and missing all four of his shots from beyond the arc. Ihenacho found other ways to contribute, dishing out seven assists.  

Tsartsidze scored nine points, with all nine coming from deep.  

Eli King was the only player to score off UND’s bench, putting up seven points and grabbing four rebounds.  

UND’s next game will be at home against the SDSU Jackrabbits at the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center on Thursday, Feb. 29 at 7 p.m. The Jackrabbits sit in first place in the Summit League with only a few games left in regular season play. Tickets are free to UND students in their green and white accounts. 

Garrett Webber is a Dakota Student Section Editor. He can be reached at [email protected]