The Madness of March

Unsplash Images

Champion and Final Four 

The UConn Huskies had a dominant run to their second consecutive national title, defeating the Purdue Boilermakers with a score of 75-60 last week. In fact, UConn’s 2024 March Madness run was the most dominant in NCAAM history. The Huskies defeated opponents by an average score of 23.3 points per game, the largest margin on a title run of all time. 

This year’s “Final Four Most Outstanding Player” was senior guard from UConn, Tristen Newton. Newton, a starter on last year’s championship team, averaged 16 points and eight assists per game in the 2024 Final Four when UConn defeated Alabama and Purdue. 

Biggest Upsets and Cinderella Runs 

The biggest upset of this year’s rendition of March Madness was on March 21 when the (14) Oakland Golden Grizzlies defeated the (3) Kentucky Wildcats 80-76. Oakland senior Jack Gohlke carved out his place in March Madness infamy by scoring 32 points and leading the Grizzlies to the victory. 30 of Gohlke’s 32 points came from beyond the arc. Following the standout performance, Gohlke recorded NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) advertisements for OOFos Slides and TurboTax. The Grizzlies fell in the Round of 32 to this March’s other Cinderella. 

The (11) NC State Wolfpack were not supposed to be in this year’s tournament. It took five consecutive wins in the ACC Tournament for the Wolfpack to even get to the Big Dance. NC State, led by senior big man DJ Burns, made the most of their unexpected opportunity. The Wolfpack, an underdog in each of their games but one, went on to defeat a 6, 13, 2, and 4 seed. The Wolfpack fell in the Final Four to Purdue with a score of 63-50. 

Overall Analysis 

This year’s tournament was one for unique players. Guys like DJ Burns, Zach Edey, and Mark Sears do not grow on trees. Each of them has a special build and their own style of play that others cannot replicate. All three of these players led their teams to the Final Four. 

College sports is an ever-changing landscape, with the transfer portal and NIL ushering in a new era for the NCAA. With that changing landscape comes a change in the regular faces fans are accustomed to seeing. Coach K and Roy Williams have already retired, and other legendary coaches will soon be on their way out. Mark Few (Gonzaga), Tom Izzo (Michigan State), and Bill Self (Kansas) are all over the age of 60. New coaches are beginning to dominate college basketball. Dan Hurley has won two consecutive national championships at UConn. Matt Painter (Purdue) and Nate Oats (Alabama) have led their programs to heights that have not been seen in decades. Hubert Davis is carving his own path at North Carolina, seemingly unbothered by the shadow of its previously legendary coaches. College basketball fans are watching new history be written, and it could not be a more exciting time to watch the sport. 

Garrett Webber is a Dakota Student Section Editor. He can be reached at [email protected]