Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Benefits of Living on Campus

Aspen Jewkes

As the spring semester rolls around, the growing pressure of getting your living situation sorted out looms large. UND enforces a live-in requirement in the dorms for all first-year students, which fosters a healthy learning environment and helps facilitate social interactions that lead to lasting friendships.  

Although it is not required to live on campus your sophomore year and beyond, as a current sophomore who is living on campus, I would like to make the argument regarding why staying within the bounds of campus made sense for me and might apply to you as well.  

Higher class attendance is related to living on campus. There is significant research to prove this theory. Consequently, it would make sense that according to a study from Penn State University, revealed that students who live on campus average between .19 to .97 points higher on their GPA than their off-campus counterparts. 

Alongside a statistical academic advantage, living on campus can reduce your commute time. Through this shorter commute it is not necessary to utilize a car to get to and from class. Saving yourself money over time through reduced milage on your vehicle and gas expenses.  

I personally have been able to survive life as a college student without a car because I live on campus. With an incredible public transportation network and easy accessibility to student resources on campus such as the Wellness Center, Library, and Student Health Services. I have access to everything I need to succeed as a student within less than a mile reach on campus.  

Regarding the social side of things, living on campus helps foster an environment that promotes social interaction. Each of the lasting friendships I have built during my brief time here at UND has been through experiences made through in person classes, the dorms, or Greek life.  

Based on my personal experience it is far easier to get involved if you live on campus because many of the events that take place throughout the year occur on campus. Whether you are attending a hockey game at the Ralph or multicultural night at the Memorial Union Ballroom, by living on campus you have direct access to all these events.  

Lastly, it is impossible to acknowledge all the benefits that come with living on campus without talking about the countless job opportunities that are exclusively offered to students at UND. Through student employment, you can work on campus and take advantage of a flexible work schedule that caters to your needs for school. Offering an easy outlet for disadvantaged students to find work and help pay for school who do not have the luxury of owning their own car.  

However, at the end of the day whether you choose to live on campus is up to you. My hope is that after reading this article you will be better informed regarding the potential benefits that coincide with staying on campus as you prepare for the upcoming year.  

Source: 

“Should I Live on Campus or at Home?” Tompkins Cortland Community College, www.tompkinscortland.edu/should-i-live-on-campus Accessed 4 Feb. 2024. 

Daniel Silva is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at [email protected].