Egyptian Theatre Renovation Rundown

Unsplash Images

On November 9th of this year, a historic movie theatre in the heart of Hollywood reopened to the public after a $70 million renovation funded by Netflix. 

The theatre was built in the early 1920’s, designed by an architect firm by the name of Meyer & Holler. The theatre was initially meant to be built with Spanish architectural influences, but the design was altered to lean into the newfound fascination surrounding Egyptian culture and history. This proved to be especially beneficial for the theatre’s success, considering the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, just a month after the venue’s opening.  

Throughout the theatre’s decades, renovations were made to accommodate different film formats and projections. It was 1992 when the theatre closed, and in the following year, it was declared a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.  

In 1994, the California region suffered the Northridge Earthquake, which caused damage to the theatre that declared it unsafe to inhabit.  

In 1996, the American Cinematheque non-profit purchased the building from the city for a single dollar, with a promise that the building would be restored, and that promise was fulfilled. The exterior of the Egyptian Theatre was restored and the interior was upgraded. The renovation cost $13 million, and the theatre was reopened in December of 1998. 

In 2019, the announcement of Netflix’s renovation on the theatre hit media outlets. Netflix reportedly was in correspondence with American Cinematheque to acquire the theatre and perform more extensive renovations. In 2020, a deal was closed, and Netflix’s renovations were officially underway. 

70 million dollars later, the Egyptian has finally been renovated and reopened to the public. Visitors report that “the enhancements here have largely sought to bring the venue back to something closer to its original state.” Architectural and paint details have been touched up, seating has been refurbished for comfort, and projection booths have been upgraded for improved viewing quality. 

The theatre’s reopening is starting off with a screening of director David Fincher’s
“The Killer.” Netflix-distributed films will be frequently shared, and American Cinematheque traditions, like their large-format film fests, will continue to take place at the theatre. 

On November 9th, a short documentary about the theatre, produced by Netflix, was also shared. The short is titled “Temple of Film: 100 Years of the Egyptian Theatre.” The short delves further into the restoration of the venue, with commentary from influential names in film, including Guillermo de Toro and Rian Johnson. The short can be viewed on Netflix’s streaming service for anyone to watch.  

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos says that the company is working toward “preserving the old and bringing this theatre into the future.” Should you ever find yourself visiting the beloved Egyptian Theatre, keep in mind the expansive history that lies between its grandiose palace-like walls.  

Sources 

Juliano, M. (2023, November 8). Hollywood’s oldest movie theater is reopening. here’s a look inside. Time Out Los Angeles. https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/news/hollywoods-renovated-egyptian-theatre-is-finally-reopening-heres-a-look-inside-101823  

Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood. , Hollywood – Historic Theatre Photography. (n.d.). https://www.historictheatrephotos.com/Theatre/Egyptian-Los-Angeles.aspx  

Netflix revives Ancient Egyptian theatre: Inside the restoration. (n.d.). https://lamag.com/film/netflix-revives-egyptian-theatre-inside-restoration  

Ava Stockstad is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]